Do you play in a band? In sessions? By yourself?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
An Draighean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Do you play in a band? In sessions? By yourself?

Post by An Draighean »

benhall.1 wrote:Silly of me, perhaps, to pick up on just one name. But Emmett Gill is a totally brilliant musician. Fantastically inclusive, interested in everything and everybody, huge generosity of spirit, and an absolute joy to play with. (Having said which, I've only played in sessions with him on three occasions.)
Totally agree. I was at the NPU Tionól a couple of years ago with only my B set and wanted to take one of the classes. Emmett overheard me, and just hands over his K&Q concert-pitch chanter for the day so that I could participate! He had never seen or met me until that instant. I was blown away by his generosity.

But if I had to pick up on another name from Mr. Gumby's list, I would have to say that Brian McNamara is about the most genuinely nice person I have ever met - brilliant piper, but humble, inclusive (willing to play with anyone even rank beginners), and a great teacher. More interested in people than in showboating or promoting himself. I once asked him about his all-Ireland title, and he just said "no one important entered that year". :lol:
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

quote: I once asked him about his all-Ireland title, and he just said "no one important entered that year". :lol:
Oh, yes, at least one very important person :D Emmett has been immensely helpful and kind to me! :)

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
bigsciota
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by bigsciota »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Says the man who's in Milltown at the height of Willie Week... :D
All I was saying, in response to Will, is that at the height of the Willie week, in the middle of that ocean you can create your own little islands, space and gather up a few people: Emmett Gill and Claire Keville playing in C all afternoon in the back of the cafe, Eanna Drury, Brian McNamara, Colm Broderick, and myself playing in C in the back of Hillery's most of the afternoon. Or all of the night Noel Hill, Oisin McDiarmada and Eamonn O'Riordan right in the front of Clacy's (so you could stand out side and look through the window and hear them well too). And no doubt many similar things going on in other places, if you care to look beyond the crowds.

And next week the crowds will be gone, I'll be still here, until the next one (if we live to see it).
Missed that he was also in Milltown. Definitely agree with you there, it's like a zoo, but there are plenty of places to hole up with a few good musicians away from the noise.