Whistle Numbers Notation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nigelgatherer
antispam: No

Whistle Numbers Notation

Post by nigelgatherer »

I have a new student in my whistle class who writes everything I do using the numbering system (D = 6, E = 5, etc). I'm devising a font to make things easier for her, but...

For people who use that numbering system, how to you mark the c natural note?
Nigel Gatherer
Crieff, Scotland
joeryan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Whistle Numbers Notation

Post by joeryan »

I used number notation when first learning. My memory is using 0/2 for C-nat. Best, Joe
nigelgatherer

Post by nigelgatherer »

Thanks, Joe!
Nigel Gatherer
Crieff, Scotland
markbell

Post by markbell »

Nigel,

I have a TrueType font for whistle tablature that I created. PM me if you are interested.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

The BBC has a series of programmes about The Armagh Pipers Club at its 50th year.

At 11 minutes in to this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-2
Brian Finnegan talks about learning using the number system and still using it when composing - and says that doing so seems bizzare. There are views of a few pages of the tutor books with the numbers.
andy_skiff
Tell us something.: Start to play whistles since 2007 and became a whistle/flute maker since 2009, I'm in China with a group Irish music fans.

Post by andy_skiff »

nigelgatherer wrote:I have a new student in my whistle class who writes everything I do using the numbering system (D = 6, E = 5, etc). I'm devising a font to make things easier for her, but...

For people who use that numbering system, how to you mark the c natural note?
In China almost all the trad-Chinese instrument learners are using the numbering system, we write a small mark(# b n) on the upper left corner of the single note for sharp/flat or natural.
KeithE
Tell us something.: I'm interested in playing and otherwise enjoying the tin whistle. I thought that I had registered before, but could not find any record of having an account.

Post by KeithE »

I had never seen this form of whistle numbering so I was curious, and found that Tony Dixon Music wrote a little about it, and that seems to agree with the C natural notation mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/2015-1 ... e-tutorial

"0 = No fingers
0/5, = Top finger off - the rest on
0/2 = Top finger off - next two"

I think that the Chinese (jianpu) musical system is a little different. It's more like the Nashville system or solfege with numbers. Maybe I'm missing a subtlety?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbered_musical_notation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_number_system

When watching the "Learning to play the tin whistle. Macdara Ó Fátharta & An Fheadóg - Faoi Lán Cheoil -04- TG4.ie" video on youtube, I was curious about the notation being used. In this screenshot it looks like solfege to me, but perhaps I'm mistaken:

But in her books she has her own twist on ABC plus modern staff notation.
mynameisnotsally
Tell us something.: I tutor children in our homeschool co-op. We do a 6 week tin whistle unit every year. I'm trying to track down Mark Bell because we really enjoy the Whistle and Squeak website and would like to request a few beginner songs and I can't find any contact information on his website.

Post by mynameisnotsally »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
markbell wrote:Nigel,

I have a TrueType font for whistle tablature that I created. PM me if you are interested.

Mark
Mark, I'm interested in your help on this too. But I'm not able to PM you yet, as this is only my 3rd post. Perhaps this message will get to you. Thanks!

Abby
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mynameisnotsally wrote:But I'm not able to PM you yet, as this is only my 3rd post.
Now you can. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician