Do you miss the old days

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Do you miss the old days

Post by Nanohedron »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:The ancillary C&F Facebook site was started by C&F itself, not by others due to marginalization or anything like that.
Just making sure that's not referencing my post; I thought I had made it clear that I wasn't talking about C&F.
Referencing, yes, but only indirectly. And thank you for that: it never crossed my mind that C&F's FB page might, in other circumstances, have happened out of division. I was absolutely clear that you weren't referring to C&F at all, but since the hypothetical possibility arose out of it, I mentioned it in case anyone was wondering. That's all. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I've been around since the olden days, regardless of my "member since 2004" date. I had a different user name ("wandering_whistler" I think), but signed up again when I forgot the password.

Before settling on this forum software, we went through several iterations of systems, including one that would let you upload audio directly into your message using (i think) adobe flash. That was kind of a neat option.

Things and people (myself included) have definitely mellowed out since then.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Adrian W. wrote:I didn't even know there was a Facebook site.
CCCP #14. :poke:

There's also another site we set up even earlier, http://cnfpoli.informe.com/ , when it was decided - with much regret - that controversy and politico-religious topics were tearing C&F apart. Goes by "Teh Board", I think. "Teh" Something, anyway. There you can debate politics, religion, conspiracy theories, or any other controversial topic, and as foul-mouthedly as you like, without censure. Not sure when it was set up, but it's mentioned after the fact in CCCP #4.

Don't know if it's still active.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Nanohedron wrote:There's also another site we set up even earlier, http://cnfpoli.informe.com/ , when it was decided - with much regret - that controversy and politico-religious topics were tearing C&F apart. Goes by "Teh Board", I think. "Teh" Something, anyway. There you can debate politics, religion, conspiracy theories, or any other controversial topic, and as foul-mouthedly as you like, without censure. Not sure when it was set up, but it's mentioned after the fact in CCCP #4.

Don't know if it's still active.
Still a trickle of activity, at http://cnfpoli.informe.com/teh-board-df2.html, though not a big audience.

I see that the FB group is now private, so as a FB Luddite I can no longer see posts.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Tunborough wrote:I see that the FB group is now private, so as a FB Luddite I can no longer see posts.
The FB group seems to be mostly FS and commercial posts. So not much going on there.
Life is good.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What is facebook?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

i have lurked in the background of this thread, for quite some time. I joined the board in 2001, when I became interested in playing whistle - and adding its timbre to our band, at that time. Tempus Fugit - especially when one is having fun. I have performed with 4 bands since that time, and the fun continues. As a card carrying paper-trained musician, the whole iTrad thing was very foreign to me in the beginning. At that point, I was self trained on whistle... At a Christmas concert, I met a whistle and harp player, who had with her a young All-Ireland winner in his age group, and she said she liked our music. I asked her what she thought of my whistle work. She said I faked it better than most. Sigh.

I began whistle lessons with her shortly thereafter, and for a whole lot of years, have been driving 100 miles into another state, for lessons, twice per month. Very worth the time and expense. I will never forget when she told me I was not faking it, any more....

There is a point here. C&F has been very important to me over the years. I have watched it change, as animate entities always do. I do miss the old days, in many ways. Being rather ignorant of the whistle world, I have learned so very much from the people here... If I began to list them, I would undoubtedly miss many that have been very important to me over said years. i have learned to know personally, and respect, many whistle smiths - some of which are no longer with us. I have purchased, played, and sold many instruments, until I found what were best for me, personally. I have sat back and watched ... uh ... disagreements occur on the board - which in the old days became quite ferocious, at times. I have watched - and participated in - acts of kindness over the years. There was rarely a day that went by that did not include for me, the education that is C&F.

In the end, I miss the people who are lost to us. In previous posts, many of said individuals were mentioned. There are lots more. Losses are always difficult. Understanding helps... When some simply disappear, with no explanation, it hurts. I remember Granny Mouse... I remember Pat O'Riordan, with whom I had so many wonderful conversations. One especially poignant for me is Feadoggie. Many emails, PM's, help from members who knew him, etc., have elicited no explanations... He is simply no longer here.

Yeah. I miss the old days, but it is the people and what they brought to the board, that I miss most. The board lives. And I still learn from those who are here. Thanks to all.

Cheers.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Byll wrote:C&F has been very important to me over the years. I have watched it change, as animate entities always do. I do miss the old days, in many ways. [...] Cheers.
And cheers to you Byll, and thank you for taking the time to write your response. As you say, things change: communities get larger and more anonymous, people's focus shifts with age and changes in circumstances, and sadly some people leave this world for the next. As one who was a very prominent contributor in the old old days, and often involved in some of the lively disputes (not to mention some of the inspired silliness), I miss all that too, and doff my hat to those that have moved on.