Do you miss the old days

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
trekkie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Do you miss the old days

Post by trekkie »

pancelticpiper wrote:Are these things from before I joined?

I just noticed Trekkie joined in 2011.

I'm confused.
I have changed my user ID a couple of times (lost password and new emails made it easier just to start over). I was bBorg when the forum was new.
Last edited by trekkie on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

I miss some things from the old days (profile says I joined 2008 but I think it was a bit earlier); miss Dale. I miss Denny, and was sad to see MT Guru not here when I came back after a hiatus. Those people were good to me. It's not as busy, by a long shot. Good people here though. It's still the best whistle and flute site on the net for our music. Bless yez all.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Adrian W. wrote:I miss some things from the old days (profile says I joined 2008 but I think it was a bit earlier); miss Dale. I miss Denny, and was sad to see MT Guru not here when I came back after a hiatus. Those people were good to me. It's not as busy, by a long shot. Good people here though. It's still the best whistle and flute site on the net for our music. Bless yez all.
At least Dale & MT Guru are still with us, unlike Denny, Moonlight & Walden. MT Guru is still playing away in the San Diego area and sometimes comes up to the Long Beach session. My understanding was he is busy with family stuff.

As to old-timers, Alan Mount is still available in the C& F Chat Room nearly every night until about midnight Pacific Time.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Adrian W. wrote:It's not as busy, by a long shot.
A while ago, I did an analysis of how many posts there were per day. Admittedly, it was a while ago - a year or so? - but at that time there was no indication that the overall number of posts was any less than it ever was. Some forums - especially, for some reason, the flute forum - were just a bit down, but others were up, and overall, there wasn't much difference. What I didn't do was to analyse the types of post, but I felt that there were more 'for sale' posts than there once had been. I could be wrong ...

Now, what's happened in the last year may be different. It feels just as busy to me, but maybe I should do my analysis again. I expect someone else will have done one, and will contradict me now ...
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Now, what's happened in the last year may be different.
I think the Facebook group is gaining traction as a forum alternative rather than (intended?) emergency substitute. If that goes on happening and people keep posting there what should be here, it may eventually win and all but kill this place. On which note (FWIW), I don't really follow C&F over there despite being a regular Facebook user for other things myself.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

At least on a forum you can search for previous posts/threads of interest, but - as far as I know - you can't do that with 'Social Media' - I hate the format of social media! :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

I also noticed the “most members online” updated recently to say “Most users ever online was 736 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:07 am”. What was going on on April 8th, I don’t know; but the previous date was 2006 or somewhere around there.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Peter Duggan wrote: I think the Facebook group is gaining traction... If that goes on happening and people keep posting there what should be here, it may eventually win and all but kill this place.
That would be unfortunate in my opinion.

It's already happened to another forum I'm a member of. The membership became divided into two factions, one faction steadily marginalizing the other, and the people who were being pushed to the side left the forum and formed a Facebook group.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

benhall.1 wrote:
A while ago, I did an analysis of how many posts there were per day. Admittedly, it was a while ago - a year or so? - but at that time there was no indication that the overall number of posts was any less than it ever was. Some forums - especially, for some reason, the flute forum - were just a bit down, but others were up, and overall, there wasn't much difference. What I didn't do was to analyse the types of post, but I felt that there were more 'for sale' posts than there once had been. I could be wrong ...

Now, what's happened in the last year may be different. It feels just as busy to me, but maybe I should do my analysis again. I expect someone else will have done one, and will contradict me now ...
That's very interesting; my perception is way off then.

I see people mentioning Facebook; I didn't even know there was a Facebook site. Zero intention of going there; I'm not on FB, doubt i ever will be, and only go to public sites when forced to.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Now, what's happened in the last year may be different.
I think the Facebook group is gaining traction as a forum alternative rather than (intended?) emergency substitute. If that goes on happening and people keep posting there what should be here, it may eventually win and all but kill this place. On which note (FWIW), I don't really follow C&F over there despite being a regular Facebook user for other things myself.
I only follow it there to the extent necessary to keep a gentle eye on things. I have very little interest in it. The problem with Facebook groups, for me, is that you don't have the permanent record that a collection of discussion threads gives you.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Adrian W. wrote:I see people mentioning Facebook; I didn't even know there was a Facebook site. Zero intention of going there; I'm not on FB, doubt i ever will be, and only go to public sites when forced to.
Same here. That's why I'm grateful that C&F proper is still plugging along.

The ancillary C&F Facebook site was started by C&F itself, not by others due to marginalization or anything like that. Its purpose is twofold: A site for those Chiffers who simply prefer Facebook (no doubt due to a shift in their social media priorities and presence), and as an emergency go-to for the rest of us when this, the main Board, is down. For me, the latter is its primary purpose; I can't conceive how FB could actually supplant this site in any meaningful way. I've only accessed the FB site once when the Board was down, so because I had to sign up just to simply view the page (which is all I wanted), technically speaking I am on Facebook. Only I'm not. No profile, no picture, no posts, nothing, thank you very much. Haven't been back since that one time I just wanted a simple look-see and nothing more. On FB I'm sort of a ghost, I suppose you could say. Still, they keep emailing me with all these "friend" requests. Gosh, it's amazing how many utter strangers want to be my "friend" when there's nothing on FB for them to know about me. TBH, I don't get it one bit.

If my life were set up to rely on widespread social connections I'm sure I'd change my tune. Until then, there you have it.

The way I see it, the main difference between C&F's then and now is in its level and expression of socialization. FB seems to have taken over the broader socialization part (although Ben would have to tell us how active it really is), while the Board seems to have "matured" (for lack of a better word) and honed its focus on the nitty-gritty: instruments and the playing of them, music, sales and purchases, the like. The Pub is what's taken the hit. I also think that C&F's former penchant for celebrative silliness may very likely have been muted by the effect of world events upon us.

That said, the fact of ever-constant change is worth considering. Nothing remains the same, ever. This does not make change regrettable in and of itself. Was the past indeed better? It depends on your angle. To those of us who have been around for a while, the C&F of yore may seem to have been more vibrant. Certainly it was more free-wheeling, but there was also more conflict, and I don't know about you, but personally I found that distressing. What is certain is that C&F is still here, and I wouldn't call it moribund at all. New members may have a completely different take on the present tone of things; knowing nothing else, maybe for them C&F is still entertaining, and still the bee's knees. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Nanohedron wrote: I also think that C&F's former penchant for celebrative silliness may very likely have been muted by the effect of world events upon us.

That said, the fact of ever-constant change is worth considering. Nothing remains the same, ever. This does not make change regrettable in and of itself. Was the past indeed better? It depends on your angle. To those of us who have been around for a while, the C&F of yore may seem to have been more vibrant. Certainly it was more free-wheeling, but there was also more conflict, and I don't know about you, but personally I found that distressing. New members may have a completely different take on the present tone of things; knowing nothing else, maybe for them C&F is still entertaining, and the bee's knees. :)
I can agree with you. :thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote:

I suspect the analysis doesn't include the old PROCT forum, which was very active. I think back then, Walden, Jim Stone, Weekenders, and one or two others may have posted almost as much as everyone put together does now on a daily basis.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The PROCT was one if my favorites!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Nanohedron wrote: The ancillary C&F Facebook site was started by C&F itself, not by others due to marginalization or anything like that.
Just making sure that's not referencing my post; I thought I had made it clear that I wasn't talking about C&F.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle