3D Printed whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: 3D Printed whistles

Post by PB+J »

Thank you for posting this. It’s very interesting. 3D printing ought to allow for more precision?

I’m looking forward to the translation-google translate is sort of nuts
awildman

Post by awildman »

My android auto translate does a fine job, or else there is a buried English version that somehow syncs unknowing with my phone.

I'm not sure 3d printing is more precise. Machining of solid materials is capable of being more precise than flowing liquid. I'm not terribly familiar with plastic injection, but I assume that it can be as precise as the mold is.

What 3d printing is good at is prototyping, and in adding material in ways that are impossible through normal methods. And, of course, in allowing you to do other work while the printer is running.

One of the big downsides is overhangs. The printer adds support structure to keep them from drooping. And then they have to be removed (hand finishing). The higher the resolution, the slower the printing goes. I have heard of objects taking 100+ hours to print. The warpage tendencies of thermoplastics are a significant limiting factor.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts