Killarney brass-bodied whistle review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Killarney brass-bodied whistle review

Post by pancelticpiper »

khl wrote:
Thanks for this. Greg's review is good, and your additional comments comparing the two are additionally helpful--especially to one who may be deciding between the Sindt and the Killarney (and there's a world of difference in price right now).
You're welcome! What I may not have made clear is that the Sindt is superbly well-voiced, even and butter-smooth, with a sophisticated dark tone.

The Killarney is a bit more bright and open, with that slight metallic hiss or edge people have remarked on.

If it was just about tone I would go with the Sindt. But for me tone is secondary, and the Killarney gave me a slight edge in tuning and nimbleness.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thisis exactly what I've found as well Richard. Was looking for something to say but it looks like everyone else has it covered. ...I'm just back from Ireland. Drove from Cork City to Killarney to search out a Killarney whistle. Thank God I found one because my wife had different plans for the day. It is a Nickel body. Not really a fan of nickel bodies but I dared not leave without one :lol: I guess a better comparison between my Sindt and the Killarney would be better if the Killarney had a brass body. Regardless, I'm feeling a little "guilty" for loving the new K whistle and preferring it over my Sindt. Like really guilty :lol: I've been playing for nearlty 30 years and I have a good ear ( can't read notation or even figure out ABC so I'd need to ) To my ear, the Killarney sounds just a little bit "sweeter" and the Sindt a little more "dullish"...not "wooley" of anything like that mind you. @ Peter Duggan :wink: . I'll not get much further into it as I agree with what yee all have written. Just want to add that I would highly recommend a Killarney whistle! My Sindt will be staying home tonight for the first time since I've owned it. Met John at the 1997 CCE convention in Boston and have been playing mine since then. I am starting to feel like a whistle adulterer or something. :lol: I almost forgot. I also like the rounded sides of the top of the mouthpiece. Nice touch.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Not an accomplished player here, but I have a brass and a nickel killarney. They are very close and from day to day I can't decide which I like better. The brass whistle is a bit heavier. The Nickel whistle is a bit slippery to hold and I found that rubbing it with a green scotchtbrite pad, to give it a more matte finish, made it a bit less slippery
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Yeah PB+J, that has always been my issue with nickel whistles. I've alwaysfound them a little slippery. I have also found nickel whistles to be a little "brighter" than brass but that could just be in my head although I know that I am not the only person to have ever thought so. Regardless, lovely whistles. About to rub mine with a bit of a scotchbrite pad. Thanks for the tip!
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Well, after having played the Killarney at last night's session, I'd have to agree that the Kilarney and Sindt are very different whistles. I'm surprised. I expected them to play and sound the same. Two local and veteran players, both Sindt owners, tried the Killarney and their first responses were that it plays nothing like their Sindts. Others have commented on the lovely sound....I've been playing sessions with my Sindt for 20+ years. Last night was the first time I've played without it. It was a "strange" experinece for me TBH. It was the first time that I was able to hear myself in 20 years :lol: So much so that I was starting to feel a little "paranoid" because I'm realizing that others must be able to hear me more now as well. I used to "hide" behind the odd tune if I weren't comfortable with it or am learning something new. I actually never picked it up on those occasions last night. I even remarked to the banjo player next to me ( yes, I was able to hear myself next to a banjo :P ) that I would normally play the Sindt on such tunes but the Killarney was so easy to hear ( not "louder" as such but just easier to hear. If that makes any sense.) that I would just sit out. There were times that I was wishing that I never left my Sindt at home. Tonight I will take both for more comparision....What I found and heard is that the Killarney whistle played very nicely between both octaves. Incredibly so, I found. The volume remained consistent throughout both octaves. Even the sometimes troublesome high B was smooth. I found the repsonse to ornamentation to be smooth as well. Also, when dropping down to the low E's and D's, the volume and tone remained strong on those often "muddy" notes. I am quite impressed with the Killarney whistle! TBH I found it played more like my old Copeland high D than the Sindt. Not for volume mind you but for the overall playability and sound. I am starting to feel so guilty for loving the Killarney so much. I may just switch. I never, ever thought I would even think such a thing. I've played and owned some of the "best" makers out there and have never been tempted to switch before! To me, the Killarney is just that nice!! Of cousre other opinions will vary. These are just mine :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There were times that I was wishing that I never left my Sindt at home.
I think you will find your Sindt is heard just about as well. I remember playing one night, perhaps fifteen years ago, thinking I was playing away unnoticed when Marion McCarthy who was sitting opposite remarked on the lovely sound of the whistle. I was mortified. I let her play a tune and was amazed at how clear the whistle sounded among the fiddles, flute and concertnas and whatever else was there on the night.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I don't know about switching from Sindt to Killarney. I have both and yet I've found that I prefer certain tunes played better or easier on particular whistles. I enjoy wooden whistles vs. metal for several of my tune repertoire which isn't very big, although I'm not a professional performer either.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Yes, I've heard the same about Sindt whistles Mr. G. I've gone to the bathrooms of session pubs and have been amazed/disturbed :lol: at how clear the other Sindt players come through. Brought both out last night. Another Sindt player noticed the difference, especially the volume and brightness. I'll prolly keep the Killarney as a novelty or car whistle but I have 20+ years playing the same whistle...we have been through a lot together and I have a lot of memories created with my Sindt. For example, as I explained my reasoning to friends last night, the Killarney has not been played solo by me, while being backed by Canada's National Philharmonic Orchestra. The Sindt has :) It would be like giving up on an old and dear friend. The differences are not that substantial to do such a thing. Plus, I like being "hidden" in the background. Sindt player for life here. Ashamed of myself for ever considering otherwise :lol: