Wood

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JTU
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Wood

Post by JTU »

Do really good whistle players use wood. As a beginner I want to try as many different whistles as I can because one day I sort of think - even though it’s nonsense - that there might be whistle out there that will make me play better. On that basis I recently bought a wooden Erle Bartlett high D made of Australian Blackwood. Polished with a bit of macadamia oil it looks great and to me it has a really nice complex full bodied sound and is easier than other whistles I have on the ears when playing the higher notes of the upper octave. I can only compare it to a couple of cheapies I started on followed by a Brass Killarney and a set of Aluminium Syn Whistles. At this point the wood is my favourite. I am interested in whether traditional Irish players take wood to sessions or use wood when performing.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Wood

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am interested in whether traditional Irish players take wood to sessions or use wood when performing.
They are very few, I can think of the late John Killourhy as an old style example and more contemporary there's Peter Phelan, Kevin Crawford plays his Grinter in concert and I can probably think of a small number of other Irish examples but in general, they are few and far between.

Wooden whistles have been made in Ireland, the Lon Dubh for example, but they have never taken off to any large extend.
My brain hurts

BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

There are a few excellent whistlers who use wood. But, as Mr. Gumby said, there aren't that many. James Galway I think played an Abell a few years ago. I believe other wooden whistlers would include Julie Fowlis, Sharon Shannon, Joanie Madden (sometimes), and even Mary Bergin at one point. It's not like people really mind wooden whistles, it's more that many traditionalists and older listeners really enjoy the traditional, "pure-drop" sound like a generation or sindt. I prefer the sound of wooden whistles myself, but I also keep pure-drop whistles in my arsenal.
Cheers!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

There is quite a few whistlemakers using various woods so somebody's playing them. Really good whistlers... professionals that travel extensively may prefer other whistle materials for travelling and to varying climates. The wooden whistles may not be preferred for international travel with the CITES restrictions, while some professionals do.

Enjoy your wooden Erle Bartlett high D made of Australian Blackwood.

Search for Roy McManus and other whistlemakers for wood whistles.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

ytliek wrote: Really good whistlers... professionals that travel extensively may prefer other whistle materials for travelling and to varying climates. The wooden whistles may not be preferred for international travel with the CITES restrictions, while some professionals do..
That's a really good point. As a general rule when performing, regardless of the wood restrictions, I keep my backup Susato Kildare in my back pocket, and trust me, it has saved me on multiple occasions. As far as CITES goes, I believe you are allowed in most countries to take whistles made from dymondwood (a wood/epoxy laminate), though they are super finnicky about what wood veneers you have a.k.a. I believe you could travel with a birch/epoxy dymondwood, but not a cocobolo dymondwood. Also, I heard somewhere that ash tree woods are restricted due to some parasite that many of them carry, but don't quote me on it. Usually, I try and have someone else figure all this out for me, but I believe that is a general rule to keep in the back of one's head.
Cheers!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The wooden whistles may not be preferred for international travel with the CITES restrictions
Isn't it the case CITES limits wood being sold across borders but allows travel with instruments for personal use? Pipers and fluteplayers are still traveling with their instruments, for example.

I don't think people are not playing wooden whistles for those reasons. I very very rarely see them played in Ireland and even more rarely by players of note.
My brain hurts

dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Isn't it the case CITES limits wood being sold across borders but allows travel with instruments for personal use?
Yup, it looks like as long as the weight is under 22 lbs. (10 kg).
Life is good.
BigBpiper

Post by BigBpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I don't think people are not playing wooden whistles for those reasons. I very very rarely see them played in Ireland and even more rarely by players of note.
Yes, there really aren't that many wooden whistlers. But there definitely was a trend about 5-10 years ago, I would say. I almost wonder if the metal whistles (particularly Burke) were responsible for ending it. Nowadays, it seems like most people play either Sindts (or possibly Killarneys) and/or Burkes. A few overtons and chieftains here and there as well. I see fewer and fewer whistlers who play inexpensive whistles like generation, which disappoints me somewhat.
Cheers!
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I have recently acquired Anak whistles from Korea. The head is made of wood and the body is made of aluminum, which make them something of a hybrid. The tone is very sweet and clear. The Reyburns used to have wooden heads with brass bodies, which I always admired. The Anak is a very good whistle for those who want the sweet tone of wood and the maintenance ease of aluminum.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the sweet tone of wood
Interesting you say that, I always think of wooden whistles as having a hard edge to their tone, not sweet at all. And all wooden whistles I have come across had that characteristic so I don't think it's a figment of my imagination.
My brain hurts

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have several ''Whistles of Wood''. :thumbsup: There are persons that like them and hear a differance.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
the sweet tone of wood
Interesting you say that, I always think of wooden whistles as having a hard edge to their tone, not sweet at all. And all wooden whistles I have come across had that characteristic so I don't think it's a figment of my imagination.
Oddly, I've heard wooden whistles that did sound a bit edgy, but I've also heard some that are very sweet. I once had a wooden Morneaux high D with 8 holes that was really sweet, but I sold it because it had more holes than I could handle. The Anak seems to combine the best of both worlds in my opinion. To my ears, it's the one of the sweeter ones I've played. It could be the combination of the hardwood head and the aluminum body. On the Anak sound samples on YouTube, their all metal whistles don't sound quite as sweet. On the other hand, my admiration of the now hard-to-get early Reyburns may have colored my opinion. I'll say this though, the Anak is a wonderful instrument and a pleasure to play if you like a very sweet tone. For the metallic, old school sound, I have the Killarney. By the way, Peter, I'm curious to hear sound samples of your Killarney C. My impression is that you were not too fond of it. I have a feeling the all brass C would feel a bit clunky. By the way,my Anak C is less sweet than my D, which I rather like, while the mezzo A is similar to the D in its sweet tone.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ofcourse there are people who like wooden whistles. And I too definitely hear a difference. :P

And for my trouble, after saying I rarely see any, we went out for Japanese food in Ennis just now and afterward found a guy busking with a wooden whistle outside Dunnes stores. It had that hard edge I mentioned too.

I listened to clips of the Anaks when they were first advertised and the first impression was I liked them well enough but they are eye-wateringly expensive so they are well outside my range.

The Killarney C. That's probably best kept for another thread,. I'll see about a clip, it's been one draining and emotional week, I'll have to see how it goes and play it by ear, as it were.
My brain hurts

Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Unfettered as I am by any risk of ever becoming a whistler of international note.... I like everything about wooden whistles, but don't have any yet. I'm a wood guy; cabinetmaker. I have lots of respect for a number of people making wooden whistles, and I've always been drawn especially to David Boisvert's whistles for some reason, but haven't had the extra funds. I play flute too, and I'm not sure why, but I have spent a lot more time looking into how to make wooden flutes, than whistles. I should have a go at making some. I have some decent metal whistles. I do like the sound of wood whistles when I have had the chance to hear them.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

Sharon Shannon plays a wooden whistle.