Scottish song recommendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Scottish song recommendations?

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
ecadre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

pancelticpiper wrote: (Isn't Irish traditional music the only genre that uses ABC?)
Far from it. ABC was invented by a chap called Chris Walshaw, who plays a of English and French and other continental European dance music, so we're very familiar with it down here in England.

ABC is very widely used in English traditional music circles (a least as much as in Irish), and has been used on some major projects like the Village Music Project (transcripts of 18th and 19th century traditional musicians notebooks and manuscripts) and the huge Full English Archive project by the Vaughan Williams Library.

http://www.village-music-project.org.uk/

https://www.vwml.org/archives-catalogue/
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks for the info, I didn't know it was originally an English thing.

Spending my life in Highland pipe circles, and orchestral circles, and having dozens of books on Irish traditional music all of which use standard ordinary music notation, I had never heard of ABC until I joined The Session.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle