Tin whistle playing with other instruments

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wayneo
antispam: No

Tin whistle playing with other instruments

Post by wayneo »

Hi All,
I just read that in order for an uilleann pipe to play with guitar etc, the # have to be taped and all notes tuned as d e f g a b c
Does that mean that tin whistles need that also?
I want to play Pogues and Flogging Molly with others and was wondering about being in the same ball park as the others.
Thanks for your time.
Wayneo
All the best,
Wayneo

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Groucho Marx
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tin whistle playing with other instruments

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I just read that in order for an uilleann pipe to play with guitar etc, the # have to be taped and all notes tuned as d e f g a b c
You probably shouldn't believe everything you read on the interwebs. If there would be any problem playing the pipes and guitar together,to begin with, it would be a slightly flat F (and perhaps B), taping would only make things more flat.

Don't worry about it when playing the whistle, use your ear and mind your blowing.
My brain hurts

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

I play quite a few Pogues songs as well as more traditional tunes and my sparring partner plays along with a couple different accordions, acoustic guitar, mandolin, and bodrhan. They all work really well with the whistle. Also, if you like those bands, you may also like the Mahones.
wayneo

Post by wayneo »

Thank you for your replies.
That settles that!
Yes I have one Mahones CD, they rock!
Wayneo
All the best,
Wayneo

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Groucho Marx
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

When playing along with others, live or on recordings, you often need a whistle in a key other than D.

Do enough playing with non-ITM musicians and you end up with a pile of whistles in a large number of keys.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Mr.Gumby wrote:If there would be any problem playing the pipes and guitar together,to begin with, it would be a slightly flat F (and perhaps B), taping would only make things more flat.
That, and having to grow an extra pair of arms.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

So Hoopy is still here. I'm surprised he didn't mention that Andrea Corr plays along with other instruments and nobody mentions her whistle...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

Steve Bliven wrote:So Hoopy is still here. I'm surprised he didn't mention that Andrea Corr plays along with other instruments and nobody mentions her whistle...

Best wishes.

Steve
Her LBW, to match her LBD

Per the OP, Spider Stacey most often plays a regular D whistle on the Pogues recordings. Some notable exceptions being: The Body of an American (C whistle), Billy's Bones (high F whistle). I am sure that there are others, but the D whistle that you have should work for the majority of the Pogues stuff. The first tune that I learned on the tin whistle is a Pogues tune, written by Spider, Repeal of the Licensing Laws. As far as playing with other instruments, it helps to have a tunable whistle. If you are a cheap-skate like me, that means a Generation or Feadog etc. where the mouthpiece is adjustable. Also of note: Your C natural and F natural can be used to great effect with half-holing and practice. A good deal of the Pogues whistle parts are played in the second and third octave. In order to be heard in a 7-9 piece band, the whistle player has to go high. Getting comfortable playing up high will do you a lot of good.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Steve Bliven wrote:So Hoopy is still here. I'm surprised he didn't mention that Andrea Corr plays along with other instruments and nobody mentions her whistle...
Yup, but not often. By a curious coincidence, I've just been looking through CDs at my local charity shop and almost came away with what I thought was another Corrs CD, but I misread the typeface and I think it was something like "Corrodes" - maybe Andrea's alter-ego thrash metal side.