Pinky holes on lower than D whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jimhanks
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Pinky holes on lower than D whistle?

Post by jimhanks »

I think I can guess the answer. I'm just curious. I see some D whistles with a 7th hole to give C natural with the bottom hand pinky. I don't think I've seen such a configuration on a C or Bb whistle. Why not?
whistlecollector

Re: Pinky holes on lower than D whistle?

Post by whistlecollector »

jimhanks wrote:I think I can guess the answer. I'm just curious. I see some D whistles with a 7th hole to give C natural with the bottom hand pinky. I don't think I've seen such a configuration on a C or Bb whistle. Why not?
Maybe lack of interest?

Not many people want them, but I'd guess the economics favour the more popular d whistle for this treatment.

You could certainly commission a bespoke C or Bb whistle with whatever extra finger holes you'd like!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Re: Pinky holes on lower than D whistle?

Post by jimhanks »

I did just find The Carbony LeadingTone with a sub hole for a semitone instead of a whole tone, and that goes down to key of A:
https://carbony.com/product-category/wh ... ding-tone/

But it looks to be a pretty good stretch down there and that's only a semitone. That was my guess as to the reason it isn't more popular - that the reach just isn't doable past a certain point. I was just kinda surprised that D was already that point.