It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Downey's Polka Notes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 93
Maybe i'm just terrible at researching music for some of these tunes or maybe I'm looking under the wrong name. I know a lot of these tunes had several names but I know this one as Downy's. Any help would be greatly appreciated and even more so if it's something I can print off for my book.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downey's Polka Notes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm
Posts: 2320
Location: Seashore
Polara Pat wrote:
Maybe i'm just terrible at researching music for some of these tunes or maybe I'm looking under the wrong name. I know a lot of these tunes had several names but I know this one as Downy's. Any help would be greatly appreciated and even more so if it's something I can print off for my book.

Depends on where you're looking. Try this:
https://thesession.org/tunes/1426


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downey's Polka Notes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 93
ytliek wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:
Maybe i'm just terrible at researching music for some of these tunes or maybe I'm looking under the wrong name. I know a lot of these tunes had several names but I know this one as Downy's. Any help would be greatly appreciated and even more so if it's something I can print off for my book.

Depends on where you're looking. Try this:
https://thesession.org/tunes/1426


I'll be honest, I find music posted on the session a bit confusing. There are 11 versions that are all a bit different from each other. Should I pick one at random and try to learn it? I'm still pretty green over here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downey's Polka Notes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 pm
Posts: 521
Location: Washington State
If your goal is to play with others in your area, you should get your tunes/versions from local sources and forget the internet. If your goal is to play for yourself and friends or whatever, just learn whatever you like.

This music is a social business in many ways, and learning/playing in isolation is the worst approach.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downey's Polka Notes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am
Posts: 4130
Location: the Back of Beyond
There are even more version there, see this one. Must say I like it better in this key. Reminds me of a song Frank Harte used to sing, can't think of which one right now, 'Madam I 'm your darling' perhaps.

You have to ask you why you are learning the tune, have you heard it played and like it, do you want to play it with others? In that case, pick the version you heard or the one the people you'll be playing with have. Other than that, pick the one you like best.

[cross posted with the wildfella above, obviously]

_________________
My brain hurts



Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downey's Polka Notes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 93
Mr.Gumby wrote:
There are even more version there, see this one. Must say I like it better in this key. Reminds me of a song Frank Harte used to sing, can't think of which one right now, 'Madam I 'm your darling' perhaps.

You have to ask you why you are learning the tune, have you heard it played and like it, do you want to play it with others? In that case, pick the version you heard or the one the people you'll be playing with have. Other than that, pick the one you like best.

[cross posted with the wildfella above, obviously]


Thanks for this. So far I'm learning tunes that I have heard and like how they sound. I play with a friend who has a lot of music experience and a pretty deep knowledge of Irish music. He plays a couple of different accordions, mandolin and acoustic guitar to accompany my whistle, so right now we are working on finding versions of songs that are compatible and that we both like of course. It's been really cool to feed off of each others passion and push each other harder.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Downey's Polka Notes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 93
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV_zkCy_Leg

This is the version we like.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.089s | 12 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)