aluminum whistle + lacquer

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jag32266
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: long time Irish flute player and sometimes whistle. Looking to stay in touch about all things whistle

aluminum whistle + lacquer

Post by jag32266 »

I tried a search using key words without much luck,..

Long time flute player (Sam Murray) ,..recently acquired a tin whistle and the whole thing is made out of aluminum and has a lovely tone. Just played it for one hour to get use to it and when I was finished I had aluminum residue on my fingers, thumb and mouth pieces so I’m here to ask a question as to the residue.

Anything to be done to stop this rub off onto me?
Can I coat it with some clear whatever or something another- lacquer maybe?
I mean, whats food-grade for this type of application?

I guess if it comes down to it I could live with the stuff on my hands and wash when finished. But my mouth, well??

I don’t want to eat aluminum the rest of my life. I’ve re-joined Chiff&fipple to see if I can get answers from here,.. I look to your insights. Anyone?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: aluminum whistle + lacquer

Post by brewerpaul »

Try wiping the whistle with a white paper towel and see if any residue comes off. Oil etc often gets used to manufacture tubing, and also during machining.If so, give it a good wash with dish washing soap and water.
I'd think that many lacquers or polyurethanes are safe once they're fully cured. You might try clear nail polish where your lips touch the mouthpiece.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jag32266
Tell us something.: long time Irish flute player and sometimes whistle. Looking to stay in touch about all things whistle

Post by jag32266 »

brewerpaul- I just did that very thing last evening before I read your msg. I was giving it some thought and had some of the same ideas you mentioned as well. A little did come off so I played again and still had the same results albeit a bit less but still had the 'stains' left on me. I was unsure of the dish soap so I will take your advice and try that as well.

I had mentioned the nail polish to the wife and she thought it a bad idea since it was going to be in my mouth. As to the lacquer the hard part will be to allow a full cure as I am playing this new pipe everyday ;)

Appreciate the input- Thx!
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

An instrument repair person could lacquer it for you. Not sure what the cost would be. I think the lacquer they use would be non-toxic.

Piper Joe
jag32266

Post by jag32266 »

piperjoe!! Good to know as I hadn't realize that. Thx very much
jag32266

Post by jag32266 »

brewerpaul-

I did try the dish soap and you know, for the most part it did clear it up. The remnants on my mouth don't show hardly at all. And the hands show very little after hours of playing. Just to follow up and let you know how it turned out.

If it continues I'll try the method piperjoe suggested.

Thank you both