Trouble with C# and D' on whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Faber0611
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am just starting out with the tin whistle and am here to learn as much as I can about the whistle and how to play. I am here to learn from the expertise of all the other members.

Trouble with C# and D' on whistle

Post by Faber0611 »

I got my whistle today, and I have had time to start playing it tonight. Now, I am a super beginner. Just learning, and going through a book. The notes sound good until I get to C# and D'. They sound awful. Is this me? How can I fix this?

My husband is not impressed with my Mellow Dog D :(
Mr.Gumby

Re: Trouble with C# and D' on whistle

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Without knowing why they 'sound awful' there's little to say about this but try blow just a steady C#, if need be support the whistle by covering one or two lower holes OOOOXX and blow a steady stream of air until you get a reasonably satisfying tone. Then move on to d' OXXXXX, making sure you cover all holes properly. Make sure you're in the lower octave for C# and hit second d' rather than starting at the top of the second octave and trying to hit third d.
My brain hurts

Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

The Mellow Dog D is a very well respected, much loved tweaked whistle. Practice and patience will move you forward. Check out YouTube for people playing various whistles, including the Mellow Dog.
Most whistles are just fine. It takes lots of practice.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

It is not uncommon to have some notes sound dreadful when you are beginning. There is a lot you will learn about breath control as you progress that will help make all the notes sound like music. Keep working and be patient with yourself.