Downey's Polka Notes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Downey's Polka Notes

Post by Polara Pat »

Maybe i'm just terrible at researching music for some of these tunes or maybe I'm looking under the wrong name. I know a lot of these tunes had several names but I know this one as Downy's. Any help would be greatly appreciated and even more so if it's something I can print off for my book.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Downey's Polka Notes

Post by ytliek »

Polara Pat wrote:Maybe i'm just terrible at researching music for some of these tunes or maybe I'm looking under the wrong name. I know a lot of these tunes had several names but I know this one as Downy's. Any help would be greatly appreciated and even more so if it's something I can print off for my book.
Depends on where you're looking. Try this:
https://thesession.org/tunes/1426
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

ytliek wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:Maybe i'm just terrible at researching music for some of these tunes or maybe I'm looking under the wrong name. I know a lot of these tunes had several names but I know this one as Downy's. Any help would be greatly appreciated and even more so if it's something I can print off for my book.
Depends on where you're looking. Try this:
https://thesession.org/tunes/1426
I'll be honest, I find music posted on the session a bit confusing. There are 11 versions that are all a bit different from each other. Should I pick one at random and try to learn it? I'm still pretty green over here.
awildman

Post by awildman »

If your goal is to play with others in your area, you should get your tunes/versions from local sources and forget the internet. If your goal is to play for yourself and friends or whatever, just learn whatever you like.

This music is a social business in many ways, and learning/playing in isolation is the worst approach.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There are even more version there, see this one. Must say I like it better in this key. Reminds me of a song Frank Harte used to sing, can't think of which one right now, 'Madam I 'm your darling' perhaps.

You have to ask you why you are learning the tune, have you heard it played and like it, do you want to play it with others? In that case, pick the version you heard or the one the people you'll be playing with have. Other than that, pick the one you like best.

[cross posted with the wildfella above, obviously]
My brain hurts

Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There are even more version there, see this one. Must say I like it better in this key. Reminds me of a song Frank Harte used to sing, can't think of which one right now, 'Madam I 'm your darling' perhaps.

You have to ask you why you are learning the tune, have you heard it played and like it, do you want to play it with others? In that case, pick the version you heard or the one the people you'll be playing with have. Other than that, pick the one you like best.

[cross posted with the wildfella above, obviously]
Thanks for this. So far I'm learning tunes that I have heard and like how they sound. I play with a friend who has a lot of music experience and a pretty deep knowledge of Irish music. He plays a couple of different accordions, mandolin and acoustic guitar to accompany my whistle, so right now we are working on finding versions of songs that are compatible and that we both like of course. It's been really cool to feed off of each others passion and push each other harder.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV_zkCy_Leg

This is the version we like.