Am I in the right place for the type of music I want to play

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Faber0611
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am just starting out with the tin whistle and am here to learn as much as I can about the whistle and how to play. I am here to learn from the expertise of all the other members.

Am I in the right place for the type of music I want to play

Post by Faber0611 »

Is this forum strictly for playing Irish or Celtic music? While I wouldn't mind being able to play a jig, or something fun like that, I am learning the whistle to play Christian music and hymns. I feel the whistle really adds something moving to a hymn or piece of worship music. I'd like to learn from this forum and the expertise here, but want to make sure I am in the right place to do that. Thanks :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Am I in the right place for the type of music I want to

Post by Nanohedron »

This forum is first about playing in general, and no one pursuit is considered the right one. But, it has to be said that the main topic trend here is toward Irish music and related. People do bring up church-related playing on occasion, but you don't see a lot of it in depth. Mainly we'd be here to help with playing issues, if nothing else. :)

But try it and see. Maybe you'll pull a few more out of the woodwork. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Faber0611 wrote: I am learning the whistle to play Christian music and hymns.
There are a number of people here (including myself) who have experience using whistles in Church music.

The main difference (it seems to me) between being an Irish traditional session player and a Church musician is the number of different keys you may need to cover.

Many whistle players who regularly play at Irish sessions show up only with a D whistle.

In traditional hymnody, that is, choir and organ (which is the Church music I'm most familiar with) keys from three flats to three sharps are common (Eb, Bb, F, C, G, D, and A) and you might see four flats and/or four sharps (Ab and E).

Yes each whistle can cover two Major keys (one based on the whistle's tonic, the other based on the whistle's fourth) yet oftentimes I prefer to use a whistle due to its range as much as its key. So D Major can be played on a D whistle and on an A whistle, and which I use to play a D Major hymn depends on the range of the tune.

I find, for traditional hymnal-based music, that at minimum I need whistles in Eb, Bb, C, D, and E.

As far as guitar-based Praise music goes, on the one hand many guitarists stick to basic guitar keys like G, C, D, E etc but on the other hand all bets are off if the guitarist uses a capo. You might play a song in D one day and in D# the next, another song in C one day and in C# the next.

Due to such things I ended up with whistles in every key, chromatic.

Modulating up one or more keys is common in Praise music. It's simple on whistle: when they modulate you just grab another whistle, and play the tune just as you did before.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Doesn't the praisewhistlers site cater for that?
My brain hurts

Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Doesn't the praisewhistlers site cater for that?
There isn't much there of use it seems. The link to their 'message boards' doesn't work.

I don't really play much trad Irish music either. I like to play old European, French, English etc country/folk dances, and also Renaissance and medieval music on my whistles. :)
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Doesn't the praisewhistlers site cater for that?
Yep I looked and it's not much of a site.

This site (C&F) doesn't seem terribly ITM-session-scene specific. For that I visit The Session.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There isn't much there of use it seems. The link to their 'message boards' doesn't work.
I didn't look. Their plans for world domination failed then? A lot of people from this forum went there at some point and there was a bit of to and fro-ing but perhaps the interest just wasn't there in the end. This forum and theirs were always a bit like parallel universes.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Their plans for world domination failed then?
Maybe it's just me, but from reading their home page I gather that their aims were much less ambitious than you propose.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Never mind, it's all ancient history. One member here used to monitor the site and she reported they were actively discussing how to to 'infiltrate' this forum to 'spread the word'. There was some push back but I don't know the details of it. It's a long time ago. It struck me as a little weird.

Perhaps they took their forums down because of the usual spam bots. We had an off the grid Irish Music forum for some years and had to clean hundreds of bot accounts every week. It's hard work, especially if your forum isn't very active.
My brain hurts

Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Faber0611 wrote:Is this forum strictly for playing Irish or Celtic music? While I wouldn't mind being able to play a jig, or something fun like that, I am learning the whistle to play Christian music and hymns. I feel the whistle really adds something moving to a hymn or piece of worship music. I'd like to learn from this forum and the expertise here, but want to make sure I am in the right place to do that. Thanks :)
To answer your question, YES you can learn a whole lot about how to play the whistle here! Though the majority of folks here tend to play Irish traditional music on the whistle, there is no requirement that you post only about playing any particular genre of music. :)
Last edited by Chifmunk on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Faber0611 wrote:I'd like to learn from this forum and the expertise here, but want to make sure I am in the right place to do that.
Let's just start by saying you're not in the wrong place! Whether there's anywhere more geared to your precise needs, I don't know, but this is simply 'The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community' (no 'Irish' or even 'Celtic' specified)...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: infiltrate this forum
I for one rejoice in infiltration! It's the infiltration of this forum by so many disparate folks (Christians, Jews, Buddists, Pagans, rock musicians, Baroque musicans, even Highland pipers) that makes it so cool.

So yes, Faber, this site is for you too.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
awildman

Post by awildman »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Never mind, it's all ancient history. One member here used to monitor the site and she reported they were actively discussing how to to 'infiltrate' this forum to 'spread the word'. There was some push back but I don't know the details of it. It's a long time ago. It struck me as a little weird.

Perhaps they took their forums down because of the usual spam bots. We had an off the grid Irish Music forum for some years and had to clean hundreds of bot accounts every week. It's hard work, especially if your forum isn't very active.
I think it had more to do with lack of partipation and IRL priorities. I tried to get in there a couple years ago and never got posting permissions from the admin. I believe the niche-ness just doesn't allow for enough activity to really justify existence.

I did however, receive some nice Russian spam/scam PMs via their forum.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

"Doesn't the praisewhistlers site cater for that?"

I can attest for that. I cant really use the word CATER though. When I first joined C&F in about 1999 it was a smaller more user friendly community and I discovered a few other praise whistlers and started a sort of news letter. One suggested a forum and that's how PWA got started.
It never has been intended to replace anything, but just to provide a place to share a common bond.

They call me founder but I have no hand in how it works or why it is down. The home page belongs to a friend who kindly links to the forum (which the moderators are working on). He also links to my webpage which only he can make changes on. I am not much of a techie. I make whistles.

Mack
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.