It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 108
Let me know if this is not allowed. Just looking for tabs for the Bronsa slide since i don't read music. Been laying low on this site for the past couple of months since my reprimand. Thought I would give it another go. 6 1/2 months in and only missed two days practice. Obsession is everything.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33354
Location: Minneapolis
Do you read ABCs, Pat?

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 108
Nanohedron wrote:
Do you read ABCs, Pat?


Just barely. Tabs and ear are my current go-to.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33354
Location: Minneapolis
Polara Pat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Do you read ABCs, Pat?

Just barely. Tabs and ear are my current go-to.

This is me suggesting you go by ear, then. I'm overwhelmingly an ear-player myself. I don't have the slightest idea about tabs, sorry.

Here's an acceptable recording of someone playing the Brosna Slide on whistle. It's in G, the standard session key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxXdCQFpTA

I think learning it by ear shouldn't be too hard as the tune is distinctive, catchy as an earworm, and the whistler here keeps it pretty clean.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 108
Nanohedron wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Do you read ABCs, Pat?

Just barely. Tabs and ear are my current go-to.

This is me suggesting you go by ear, then. I'm overwhelmingly an ear-player myself. I don't have the slightest idea about tabs, sorry.

Here's an acceptable recording of someone playing the Brosna Slide on whistle. It's in G, the standard session key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxXdCQFpTA

I think learning it by ear shouldn't be too hard as the tune is distinctive, catchy as an earworm, and the whistler here keeps it pretty clean.


Thanks, I'll give it a go. Currently my learning curve starts with tabs then progresses to muscle memory but I'm up to changing my learning technique if it's for the greater good.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:06 pm
Posts: 2329
Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA
Nanohedron wrote:
Here's an acceptable recording of someone playing the Brosna Slide on whistle. It's in G, the standard session key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxXdCQFpTA\

And something I recently learned about YouTube (and maybe everyone else knows) is that if you click on that little gear thingy on the lower right, you can slow down the tune to 75%, 50% or 25% of the original speed without changing keys. So if you're having trouble sorting it out, you can slow it way down and play along....

Best wishes.

Steve

_________________
"[Some flutists] place the flute between the upper lip and the nose, blowing the instrument from below. This position does not prevent good playing, but it does not look graceful."
~ Antoine Mahaut, 1759 in a tutor for playing the transverse flute ~


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33354
Location: Minneapolis
If playing from ear memory is natural to you, Pat, it's worth developing further. Just listen to a tune until you have it, and you'll have it forever. :)

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33354
Location: Minneapolis
Steve Bliven wrote:
And something I recently learned about YouTube (and maybe everyone else knows) is that if you click on that little gear thingy on the lower right, you can slow down the tune to 75%, 50% or 25% of the original speed without changing keys. So if you're having trouble sorting it out, you can slow it way down and play along....

Cool! I didn't know about that.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Yes
Steve Bliven wrote:
I recently learned about YouTube is that if you click on that little gear thingy on the lower right, you can slow down the tune to 75%, 50% or 25% of the original speed without changing keys.
Best wishes.
Steve


Well now...... that is interesting. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

_________________
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 108
Nanohedron wrote:
If playing from ear memory is natural to you, Pat, it's worth developing further. Just listen to a tune until you have it, and you'll have it forever. :)


It definitely doesn't come naturally but I'd like to work on this technique for sure. The guy I've been playing with is really pushing me to learn harder tunes. I love it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 pm
Posts: 554
Location: Washington State
I think the 25% speed has no audio. But the advice to listen to the tune a bunch of times until it is in your head will be better than a super slow tune.

Better yet if you can find a playing partner/teacher to play through the tune with you until you get it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 108
Hey, big thanks to Steve B for the tip on slowing down the you tube video. It allowed me to translate the tune into ABCs and I can now play it but not nearly up to speed. Also, I think it may be Brosna, not Bronsa. Not that it matters.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:29 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33354
Location: Minneapolis
Polara Pat wrote:
Also, I think it may be Brosna, not Bronsa.

Right you are.

Polara Pat wrote:
Not that it matters.

It might, especially when you're trying to track something down. I was looking for something today and couldn't find it for quite a while, and all because of a typo.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Posts: 108
Nanohedron wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:
Also, I think it may be Brosna, not Bronsa.

Right you are.

Polara Pat wrote:
Not that it matters.

It might, especially when you're trying to track something down. I was looking for something today and couldn't find it for quite a while, and all because of a typo.


Good point. I think I was mostly just dyslexic in my spelling here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bronsa slide tabs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm
Posts: 2336
Location: Seashore
If the ear method doesn't work try this:

Image

This version is from The Session


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.094s | 13 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)