Bronsa slide tabs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Bronsa slide tabs

Post by Polara Pat »

Let me know if this is not allowed. Just looking for tabs for the Bronsa slide since i don't read music. Been laying low on this site for the past couple of months since my reprimand. Thought I would give it another go. 6 1/2 months in and only missed two days practice. Obsession is everything.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Bronsa slide tabs

Post by Nanohedron »

Do you read ABCs, Pat?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Nanohedron wrote:Do you read ABCs, Pat?
Just barely. Tabs and ear are my current go-to.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Polara Pat wrote:
This is me suggesting you go by ear, then. I'm overwhelmingly an ear-player myself. I don't have the slightest idea about tabs, sorry.

Here's an acceptable recording of someone playing the Brosna Slide on whistle. It's in G, the standard session key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxXdCQFpTA

I think learning it by ear shouldn't be too hard as the tune is distinctive, catchy as an earworm, and the whistler here keeps it pretty clean.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Nanohedron wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:
This is me suggesting you go by ear, then. I'm overwhelmingly an ear-player myself. I don't have the slightest idea about tabs, sorry.

Here's an acceptable recording of someone playing the Brosna Slide on whistle. It's in G, the standard session key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxXdCQFpTA

I think learning it by ear shouldn't be too hard as the tune is distinctive, catchy as an earworm, and the whistler here keeps it pretty clean.
Thanks, I'll give it a go. Currently my learning curve starts with tabs then progresses to muscle memory but I'm up to changing my learning technique if it's for the greater good.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Nanohedron wrote:Here's an acceptable recording of someone playing the Brosna Slide on whistle. It's in G, the standard session key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxXdCQFpTA\
And something I recently learned about YouTube (and maybe everyone else knows) is that if you click on that little gear thingy on the lower right, you can slow down the tune to 75%, 50% or 25% of the original speed without changing keys. So if you're having trouble sorting it out, you can slow it way down and play along....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

If playing from ear memory is natural to you, Pat, it's worth developing further. Just listen to a tune until you have it, and you'll have it forever. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote:And something I recently learned about YouTube (and maybe everyone else knows) is that if you click on that little gear thingy on the lower right, you can slow down the tune to 75%, 50% or 25% of the original speed without changing keys. So if you're having trouble sorting it out, you can slow it way down and play along....
Cool! I didn't know about that.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve Bliven wrote: I recently learned about YouTube is that if you click on that little gear thingy on the lower right, you can slow down the tune to 75%, 50% or 25% of the original speed without changing keys.
Best wishes.
Steve
Well now...... that is interesting. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Nanohedron wrote:If playing from ear memory is natural to you, Pat, it's worth developing further. Just listen to a tune until you have it, and you'll have it forever. :)
It definitely doesn't come naturally but I'd like to work on this technique for sure. The guy I've been playing with is really pushing me to learn harder tunes. I love it.
awildman

Post by awildman »

I think the 25% speed has no audio. But the advice to listen to the tune a bunch of times until it is in your head will be better than a super slow tune.

Better yet if you can find a playing partner/teacher to play through the tune with you until you get it.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Hey, big thanks to Steve B for the tip on slowing down the you tube video. It allowed me to translate the tune into ABCs and I can now play it but not nearly up to speed. Also, I think it may be Brosna, not Bronsa. Not that it matters.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Polara Pat wrote:Also, I think it may be Brosna, not Bronsa.

Right you are.
Polara Pat wrote:Not that it matters.
It might, especially when you're trying to track something down. I was looking for something today and couldn't find it for quite a while, and all because of a typo.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Nanohedron wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:Also, I think it may be Brosna, not Bronsa.

Right you are.
Polara Pat wrote:Not that it matters.
It might, especially when you're trying to track something down. I was looking for something today and couldn't find it for quite a while, and all because of a typo.
Good point. I think I was mostly just dyslexic in my spelling here.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

If the ear method doesn't work try this:

This version is from The Session