Newbie question volume on high register on High D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Newbie question volume on high register on High D whistle

Post by learn2turn »

Hi, newbie here came to whistle from a bit of playing fiddle tunes on bluegrass mandolin. But I found a book on whistles and ending up buying a couple high D whistles. I really like trying to play them but what I've found is that I can't control volume as how hard the wind is controls the octave, not the volume. Then I found that getting up in the upper register can get really loud and harsh. At least it's too much to practice with someone else in the room who isn't listening to whistles.

I'm thinking I might want to get a lower whistle so some songs I play where the notes go a few steps below D, I can still play on the lower register.

-l2t
Tommy

Re: Newbie question volume on high register on High D whistl

Post by Tommy »

Whistles in the key ''A'' will also play in the key of ''D''
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

It gets better with practice, but initially everyone might run out of the room. Give yourself some time and practice. When beginning try playing in a large room with lots of upholstered furniture, a rug and drapes if you have one. When I was first playing I attempted to practice at a table in my kitchen. I can do that now, but initially all the hard surfaces around me amplified my less than perfect sound.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Yes, you don't have a lot of volume control in a whistle.

You can buy a whistle that has a sweet, not-so-loud high register. Small bore whistles frequently meet this desire.
DaveVisi
Tell us something.: I'm a member of a medieval recreation group, interested in period and Irish music. Current play Hammered Dulcimer, and working on Bodhran and whistle.

Post by DaveVisi »

I have the same problem. I'm told it gets better with practice. I just can't blow loud enough to get the higher notes in the upper register.

I have a Low D on order. More lung power, but at least the dog won't hate me.

If you want volume as well as tone, you might have to resort to a flute style where you control both volume and pitch with your mouth.
High D's: Freeman Mellow Dog, Tweaked Clarke original, Chris Wall tunable
Low whistles: Kerry Optima D, Whistlesmith Low D & G
Tony Dixon D flute
Bodhran; 16" Bridget
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

What kind of whistle are you playing? Some hit the high register easily, others take more oomph. If possible, have an experienced player test your whistle to see if it's playing properly.A bit of tonguing for the higher notes can sometimes help get them to speak without being excessively loud.Keep at it-- this is a common problem, and you'll get a feel for it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I find that the conical bore (tapered) whistles have an easier transition between octaves, and in both directions. However, I learned on a tapered bore whistle. I do find that the upper octave 'A' and 'B' require a bit more push on both types (tapered and cylindric)
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

When I was first learning, I was taught to "relax" into the higher register. Though I would also agree that tongueing might help you get a better feel for it. Looking back, I think the teachers just wanted to avoid kids emitting shrill blasts and therefore instructed them to take it easy in the second octave :lol: . In all honesty, though, practice is pretty much the universal remedy to most whistle-playing problems.
Cheers!
JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

I had the same issue with the high notes then one day after months of practice I miraculously found I could manage the high G, then sometime later I suddenly realised I could hit the high A and then the high B followed soon after. One thing that did help was when I purchased a Syn C whistle which seemed much easier to play through the high octave without the harsh sound that my D whistles produced. Maybe a C whistle might be worth a try because after you have play that for a while you might find that for some reason that escapes me the D seems easier. Cheers JTU