It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Keeping Them Straight
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 pm 

Old age is a terrible thing -- but I wasn't any better at this when I was young. So maybe it was the drugs, but...

I cannot keep the names of jigs, reels, hornpipes, etc. connected to the tunes themselves. There are so many tunes with so many names...some with multiple names. And lots of them aren't all that different from lots of others. Occasionally I successfully hook the first few bars to a particular name, but remembering the first four bars of Father Kelly's from Jackie Coleman's from Bobby Casey's from Humours of (Insert One Of A Dozen Names Here) from everything else -- jaysus. Then throw in the Irish tune names, which I can't even pronounce, much less hook something memorable to.

How do you guys do it? Tips? Tricks? Dietary supplements? Or am I just going to have to get used to carrying around a fake book?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:08 pm 

I don't think there's any reason to be overly concerned with tune names.

I've known a couple good players over the years who didn't know the names to most of the tunes they played.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:04 pm 

pancelticpiper wrote:
I don't think there's any reason to be overly concerned with tune names.

I've known a couple good players over the years who didn't know the names to most of the tunes they played.

:thumbsup:

Bob

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:41 pm 

Everybody's memory is a little different. For some, the name of the tune helps.

I'm one who finds that the name of the tune helps. My other memory job is the first phrase. Not so much the whole phrase, but the pieces of the first measure or two that trigger the rest of the tune to start flowing.

(But, to confess, I'm not all that good at remembering how to start tunes, except for the ones I am working on regularly).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:36 am 

I wouldn't worry about remembering the names of the tunes, either. If anything, for me it's mostly just a way of keeping track of what I know, and maybe it's easier to tell someone that, for example, "you should learn Kesh jig" rather than "you should learn the jig that starts like this".

Moreover, the name of the tune helps me to connect it to the possible other tunes that I'm used to playing in the same set. Say it's a set of three tunes and I remember one name, then I can usually remember the two other tunes as well, even though I wouldn't remember their names.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 am 

Found a new strategy on a thread on another board that might work for me...incipits! The name of a tune followed by the first 2 - 4 bars...just enough to get the gears meshed on a tune.

A little cheatsheet like this could have lots of tunes in a format small enough for a vest pocket, and would quickly tie the name of each tune to its unique beginning. Kind of like what my brain should be doing anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 pm 

I have seen some really beautiful Incipits that were ring bound and laminated.
Bob

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi