Burke Whistles—no more composite

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Burke Whistles—no more composite

Post by khl »

It’s been a long while since I visited the site, but I noticed that they aren’t selling composite whistles anymore. Does anyone know how long it’s been, and why?
Keith
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Re: Burke Whistles—no more composite

Post by BigBpiper »

I don't know how long it's been or why, but I would also be interested to know. Thanks for making us aware about this! I must say, I'm kind of dissappointed. The burke composite has been a favorite to so many players. It's a real shame they scrapped it :sniffle:
Cheers!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'm guessing a note to the maker might reveal all...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

As to the why, it's hard to imagine that there's much demand for whistles so fragile that they arrive snapped in two.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

pancelticpiper wrote:As to the why, it's hard to imagine that there's much demand for whistles so fragile that they arrive snapped in two.
I never had problems shipping back and forth (Low D, A, high D), though I did accidentally step (full weight) on the A and it broke.

I like the sound of the Composite Low D more than the Aluminum, though I know others for whom the composite just didn’t cut it in comparison. Anyways, I’m sad, I’m a way, to see them go, but more curious than sad.
Keith
khl

Post by khl »

Steve Bliven wrote:I'm guessing a note to the maker might reveal all...

Best wishes.

Steve
I’ve sent him an email—at the risk of annoying a busy man with my curiosity. :D
Keith
khl

Post by khl »

So I emailed Mike and asked. He said he stopped making them three years ago.
Very little demand, parts limited, not worth the cost of retooling. He also said that, in his opinion, metal whistles are better and more rugged.

And so my questions are answered.

(For the record, Mike’s really a decent guy.)
Keith