B Flat Recommendation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Amergin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am registering to this forum because I am a new whistle player with an interest in Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, Breton, and other traditional music among other forms of music and would like to learn more, be able to ask questions when I have them, and so forth. Thanks.

B Flat Recommendation

Post by Amergin »

So I recently purchased a basic Generation Bb whistle and instantly fell in love with the key and really I like the sound of the Generation itself. I like it so much I was wondering if there was something to upgrade to which would basically just be a higher quality version of the Generation or at least similar.

In the past I purchased a Jerry Freeman's "Mellow Dog" and I think the sound is lovely, but I don't really like to play in D (well at least high D, I like my Low D.) Would Freeman's tweaked Generation Bb be worth the upgrade in this case? Or should I spend more and go for the Impempe Bb?

Or perhaps you fellows have some other Bb whistles you think highly of?

Thanks for any help.
Mr.Gumby

Re: B Flat Recommendation

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I like it so much I was wondering if there was something to upgrade to which would basically just be a higher quality version of the Generation or at least similar.
What would you like to see in the way of improvements or higher quality? You already love your Generation and the sounds it makes. so what is it you're looking to improve upon?
My brain hurts

StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

A really good Generation B-flat can't really be improved upon IMO. If you want something that has similar characteristics but will last your lifetime without cracking, melting or being destroyed by accident, get a Sindt. Very similar but the tone has just a little less character I would say.

But talking of longevity I have a couple of Gen B-flats from the 1980s that are great and still perfectly fine. I also have a Jerry Freeman tweaked version from 6 or 7 years ago. It's very good, pretty well equivalent in tone to these great antique specimens, which is what Jerry was aiming to achieve at a period when the standard production models weren't so good. I don't know what they are like now, and what yours is like, though, so cannot advise whether a Jerry model would be an improvement on what you have.
Amergin
Tell us something.: Hi, I am registering to this forum because I am a new whistle player with an interest in Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, Breton, and other traditional music among other forms of music and would like to learn more, be able to ask questions when I have them, and so forth. Thanks.

Post by Amergin »

Hey thanks for the replies. Well I can't complain much but the only flaw I've noticed is that playing D in the first octave can make a bit of a unpleasant "squawk" sound. I figure perhaps Freeman's tweak might remove that.

I guess another way of phrasing my question is are there any Bb whistles which have a similar tone or sound to the Generation whilst perhaps sounding even better or more quality? Or yet another way, for those who like Generations what do you like even better?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have a Sindt B that I like, it's different, not necessarily doing a better job, just different in character and certainly an awful lot heavier. But again, if you don't know what you like to improve (I honestly don't think the high d' thing can be blamed on the whistle) or what you do want it's a bit of a wild goose chase.
My brain hurts

BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

I self-tweaked a generation Bb. I love it to death, but I could at least see myself upgrading due to its cosmetic issues :) . Perhaps this isn't what you want, but I'm just throwing out the Reyburn Bb if you want to check it out. Tonewise, it's got some of the generation character that you might like, though I definately woudn't view it as an equivilant. Also, it looks great, so you can't really go wrong with that! :lol: Many hand-made whistle makers allow a bit of a try-out period to see if you will actually like their whistles, so that might be worth looking into. As far as whistles in general, let alone the Bb, I prefer wooden whistles to the pure-drop trad sound (don't shoot! don't shoot!), but out of necessity I keep a variety of pure-drop whistles in my arsenal.
Cheers!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

BigBpiper wrote:As far as whistles in general, let alone the Bb, I prefer wooden whistles to the pure-drop trad sound (don't shoot! don't shoot!), but out of necessity I keep a variety of pure-drop whistles in my arsenal.
I too prefer wood whistles in general. I have several Generations and many duplicates in which that "standard" Gen sound can vary from whistle to whistle. I'm not sure there is a standard Gen sound with only the current sound of Gens being made today. In wood a very nice sounding Bb whistle is Roy McManus from Belfast. With the new CITES restrictions maybe choosing a wood that is not restricted will allow for shipping worldwide.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

ytliek wrote:] In wood a very nice sounding Bb whistle is Roy McManus from Belfast. With the new CITES restrictions maybe choosing a wood that is not restricted will allow for shipping worldwide.

I almost wonder, what about Gene Milligan's work? He's also a great whistle maker (though I really like the sound McManus whistles make), and he has no trouble at least in the U.S., since he is a U.S. resident, but I wouldn't really know about worldwide shipping. I think he makes whistles with materials that would be unhindered by the new CITES restrictions, particularly some dymondwood variations, but I would have to check.
Cheers!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

BigBpiper wrote:
ytliek wrote:] In wood a very nice sounding Bb whistle is Roy McManus from Belfast. With the new CITES restrictions maybe choosing a wood that is not restricted will allow for shipping worldwide.

I almost wonder, what about Gene Milligan's work? He's also a great whistle maker
I don't have a wood Milligan Bb whistle so cannot speak to that. I do have other Milligan whistles and yes, quality and sound is wonderful. Not all whistlemakers make a Bb whistle.
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

I have a couple of Milligan whistles in diamond wood that are great.

I don't have a B flat but do have and frequently play a Milligan in A. Lovely instrument.

However, a Milligan B flat is on my wish list. :thumbsup:

JD
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I have two nickel Bb Generations. One of them has the putty tweak and the other is untouched. They are both really nice, but are just different enough to make it pleasant. The discoloration on the tube is natural and I like the aged patina. The blue heads are a little beat up due to heavy use. The nickel Generations have heads that are difficult to remove for tweaking. The brass reds are generally easier to remove. However, one of my nickel Gen came without any glue on the head, so it came fully tuneable and easy to insert the putty in the back cavity. I must say, the Generation Bb is tough to beat. The Freeman Bb is also very good.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a Jerry Freeman Bb Generation that I love. I've played a huge number of Generation Bb's over the last 40 years and never found a really good one until I got the Freeman. It's bang-on in tune, has even voicing through the octaves, and has the sweet pure high notes I like.

I had a Sindt Bb which was superb. But in the end I liked the Freeman Generation a tiny bit more, and I sold the Sindt.

I use that same Freeman Generation Bb head on a self-made A body. It's the best A whistle I've played, but then IMHO there's no beating a great-playing Generation.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle