Killarney C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Killarney C

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Sounds good to me.
I never said the whistle didn't sound well enough :P
My brain hurts

busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I just received my Killarney C in nickel and couldn't be happier. I have a d in both nickel and brass but it didn't even think of weighing the choice between the c in brass or nickel. I just asked for a whistle. I do love both my d's in brass and nickel. And I am not sure I'd have made a "sound" decision to go with one or the other. The C has got a good mouth feel, scale and the right amount of backpressure, as well as ease in jumping octaves. I am very pleased.
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I never said the whistle didn't sound well enough :P
I know that, just wanted to say I enjoyed the sound of it.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

I am very happy with my brass whistle. Here's a sample.
https://youtu.be/hSOjTRDt56o
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I enjoyed both sound samples, but here's the thing with me and the Killarney. I like the way they sound a lot more when others play them. When I am playing them, it just does not sound that good. In fact, listening to my own recording sounds better than when I am actually playing them. I wonder if there is word for this syndrome.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I suppose your getting into the area of psychoacoustics there.
My brain hurts

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tyler DelGregg wrote: I wonder if there is word for this syndrome.
Check your eustachian tube.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Brian Hughes has posted a nice clip to the Traditional Irish Music Facebook group, if anyone can access that.
I tried to get a link, but the app won’t let me see links. And when I try to go to Facebook via my browser it auto-opens the app. :swear:
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Thanks for the advice; as long my playing doesn't sound like a crumhorn, I should be ok, right??
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

Now that they've been available for a few months, I'm wondering if anyone has any additional feedback on these Killarney Cs? While the initial reviews clearly didn't show a consensus, Mr. Gumby's concerns tempered by enthusiasm. Anyone else care to share their impressions?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

They're fine whistles. Don't mind me being fussy. It really was a matter of expectations not being met, and at a price. I expected the C to be as nimble and light to the touch as the higher Killarneys. It isn't. But it's fine, if you're not used to playing the Cs I already had and am used to, you probably won't notice. I have made my peace with it since. It's a workhorse, the ones I already had, they're for fun.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: I like whistles to play effortlessly, be responsive and light to the touch, lively, sweet and clear sounding. The Killarney D and E flat tick all, or most of those boxes. I had high expectations of the C. However, this one, I feel, is different. It's more hungry for wind and pressure...playing it takes an effort...
Thanks for that review.

I feel exactly the same way about how I like whistles to play, and I really like the Killarney D.

The C sounds like it plays like many players on this side of the Atlantic like their whistles to play, stiffer overall.

Happily I have an old Generation C that has a very light nimble upper range yet a full low range, and I'll stick with that.

BTW I dropped my Killarney D a couple weeks ago on concrete and right on the fipple, and it doesn't play quite as sweetly now. I don't know if it can be repaired. I might have to get a new one, I hope they haven't changed their Ds much.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle