Nightingale whistles - USA & Europe whistle tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Drunken piper

Nightingale whistles - USA & Europe whistle tour

Post by Drunken piper »

Hi C&F! I really welcome everybody to join for those whistle tour in USA and Europe. I doing it for first time and will be glad to get some advices and help)
I planning to send 4 whistles: low E, low Eb, Low D, Low C. Is that a good idea to send 4 of them or better just standart Low D?

So excited! Who want to be first in the list?)
Tommy
antispam: No

Re: Nightingale whistles - USA & Europe whistle tour

Post by Tommy »

Great :thumbsup: I would like to be on your whistle tour list.
I think the low D would be enough to send out?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Put me down for Europe, please. I'll do you a thorough and objective video review.

Like Tommy, I'd say one instrument should suffice as a low whistle sampler. If you're keen to send out more than one, I'd suggest adding a high D and/or middle (mezzo/alto) pitch if you've got them.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Geebawn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Geebawn »

I would be honored to check and review your low E whistle (it's my favorite low whistle key and there aren't too many of them on the market). I live in Poland.
Drunken piper

Post by Drunken piper »

Peter Duggan wrote:Put me down for Europe, please. I'll do you a thorough and objective video review.

Like Tommy, I'd say one instrument should suffice as a low whistle sampler. If you're keen to send out more than one, I'd suggest adding a high D and/or middle (mezzo/alto) pitch if you've got them.
Hi Peter! At the moment i released only Low whistles with plastic fipples, hope i will have high whistles this summer! As i see some people want other pitches here, so possibly it's a good idea to send 4 of them.
Drunken piper

Post by Drunken piper »

And i will be apreciate if each of you will post message in format:
Name:
City:

It will be easier to build a chain between cityes and country's.

How whistle tour exactly works? I send whistle to first person in nearest country and after him whistles goes to next one? Is it right? Who paying for delivery every time?

I will be apreciate for help from old forum members&admins in this quest) Or from members who already had whistle tour experiense.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Usually, as far as I know, the whistle is sent to the next person on the tour at the cost of the person who is sending the whistle. I think you will have to take postage cost into consideration when you decide how many whistles are going on tour. Given the current cost of sending things from the US a package with more than one low whistle may be cost prohibitive for people taking part.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Drunken piper wrote:And i will be apreciate if each of you will post message in format:
Name:
City:
Name: Peter Duggan
City: Kinlochleven (it's a wee Highland village!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Drunken piper wrote:And i will be apreciate if each of you will post message in format:
Name:
City:
It will be easier to build a chain between cityes and country's.
I will be apreciate for help from old forum members&admins in this quest) Or from members who already had whistle tour experiense.
Tommy Dion
13703 Bunde st.
Santa Fe, Texas
USA

What I have seen from tours in the USA the postage from any of the 48 states is the same from east to west coast.
Or to the middle. Yes I have sent whistles on tour before.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Please include me, I will be glad to write you a review.

Derek Blackwell
Seattle, WA
USA

I would be very interested to play a low C, it's difficult to find one that's really solid on the lowest 3 notes. Are the diameters for E, Eb, D and C the same, or are some wider?

I would be glad to pay more postage.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes the tours I've participated in were a single Low D whistle in a mailing tube.

In the tube was a list of names and addresses, which had been put in a logical order (various regions of the USA grouped together) to save postage cost.

You cross your own name off the list, and post it to the next name.

Yes just a Low D would be best, to save on everyone's postage, and also because (in general) people tend to have more experience with Low D's than other low keys, which makes the making of comparisons easier.

Please put me on the tour! Thanks!

Richard Cook
1801 Copperfield Drive
Tustin CA 92780 USA
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Derek Blackwell wrote: low C, it's difficult to find one that's really solid on the lowest 3 notes
Sorry to derail the topic momentarily, but the Low C's I've had (Susato, Alba, Reyburn, Reviol, and Goldie) have all had nice strong low notes, as strong as the low notes on the best Low D's.

It's strange to hear someone having the opposite experience.

The only issue a couple had was the sweetness/ease/responsiveness of some of the high notes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I agree that a low D should be enough to let a potential buyer know if he/she likes your whistle. Keeping weight down will keep shipping costs down. They can be ridiculously high shipping from country to country.
If you really think you will have high D whistles ready by this summer, you might want to hold onto the tour lists and wait until you can include one of the high whistles. Kill two birds with one stone.
Be aware that tour whistles sometimes go missing. I've had that happen with two of mine, one in the US and one in Europe. I'd like to think they merely got lost in the mail but I think it's more likely that someone just liked them so much that they kept them. Or even more cynically, kept them and sold them online.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

I vote for low-D only, too, and would like to be on the tour.

Pat Plunkett
Wheeling, WV
USA
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

People in the USA ought to include the proper USPS street address (or PO Box #) along with zip code. Just saying for here in the USA.

Name:
Street Address:
City & State:
Zip Code:

Perhaps separate tours for USA and Europe (elsewhere) as delivery times may vary considerably. Some previous ideas about instrument tours can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=1118227#p1118227