C fingering on D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mattthr
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long time fan of the irish pipes. Want to learn more about learning more! Now I'm just filling in this field to satisfy the spam filter. Might be worth the board admins looking at google recaptcha?

C fingering on D whistle

Post by mattthr »

I've been learning the whistle for maybe 3 months now, mainly from a book I got along with my instrument. I found the hardest note to be C, which the book instructed me to play with four fingers, covering holes 2,3,4 and 6 (counting from the top).

While failing to get this note correct, I discovered that it sounded pretty much the same with just holes 2 and 3 covered. So I checked online and - behold! - most fingering charts do indeed tell you just to use 2 and 3.

Is there any advantage to sounding the note with four fingers instead of 2?
Hooleh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Re: C fingering on D whistle

Post by Hooleh »

From my experience the fingering depends on your whistle and its maker. Some whistles give a more in-tune C with OXX OOO fingering, whereas others are closer to proper tuning with OXX XOX.
Then there is of course half-holing the first tone hole.
Personally I use all three methods depending on the whistle and piece I'm playing.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: C fingering on D whistle

Post by kenny »

As said above, it varies from whistle to whistle. Do whatever works, and that depends very much on the tune you are playing.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"