Feadog in D and Clarke in C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sunsetcafe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm a newbie of Tin Whistle. Just got my Feadog D Tin Whistle yesterday. Hop to join here and discuss this instrument with other members. Thank you very much!

Feadog in D and Clarke in C

Post by sunsetcafe »

Hello~ I'm new here~

I played tin whistles for around 3 weeks. I have a Feadog Brass in D and a Clarke Sweetone in C.
I know it's beginner level whistle but I love them both and learning how to play it
(And learning how to read sheet music at the same time.)

Here's a sound sample recorded by these 2 whistles on the first few days I got it. Hard to control to keep a low breath pressure or it will squeak...

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebaj0BLOQoY
Last edited by sunsetcafe on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Re: Feadog in D and Clarke in C

Post by BigBpiper »

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Sounding great! Keep up the good work! We all started somewhere, so I hope you don't feel that you have to be apologetic about where you're at or your whistles :) I also started on a feadog when I was really young, and I recall having trouble with breath control as well. By the sound of the video, you seem to be getting the hang of it :thumbsup:
Cheers!
sunsetcafe
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm a newbie of Tin Whistle. Just got my Feadog D Tin Whistle yesterday. Hop to join here and discuss this instrument with other members. Thank you very much!

Post by sunsetcafe »

BigBpiper wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum!
Sounding great! Keep up the good work! We all started somewhere, so I hope you don't feel that you have to be apologetic about where you're at or your whistles :) I also started on a feadog when I was really young, and I recall having trouble with breath control as well. By the sound of the video, you seem to be getting the hang of it :thumbsup:
Cheers!
Thank you. I keep practice those simple songs from the tutorial book everyday recently. I had so much fun~ :D
sunsetcafe

Post by sunsetcafe »

Just bought the Clarke Sweetone in D today. Really easy to play, sounds breathy and gentle. I like it!

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Those are solid instruments. IMO there really are no "beginner tin whistles". Many well known artists have used simple Generations or other "cheap" whistles for recordings or live on stage. I like the Sweetone -- plays easily in the 2nd octave -- even the 3rd with cross fingerings. Just a bit quiet but perfect for practising at home.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

Sedi wrote:Those are solid instruments. IMO there really are no "beginner tin whistles". Many well known artists have used simple Generations or other "cheap" whistles for recordings or live on stage.
I agree. I absolutely hate it when people try to push gens, feadogs, clarkes, etc as "beginner level." I mean, sure, for many people there might be better "more professional" whistles, but the instruments I named still play differently from each other and have their own unique playing requirements. I still love that Mary Bergin for decades has pulled that sound that nobody could touch from a simple generation. Granted, she now plays a sindt/generation hybrid, but you get the point :wink:
Cheers!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

she now plays a sindt/generation hybrid
That's been discussed before, it appears it''s a Sindt, not a hybrid. It's seems like a Sindt tube, with the typical line turned in it and a square of red electrical tape.

My brain hurts

BigBpiper

Post by BigBpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
That's been discussed before, it appears it''s a Sindt, not a hybrid. It's seems like a Sindt tube, with the typical line turned in it and a square of red electrical tape.

:o Okay, Thanks for catching that Mr. Gumby!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's the forum's continuing, and somewhat baffling, obsession with who plays what and what MB plays in particular that makes it one of the recurring subjects here. :P Having seen discussions go there time and again, it's just a matter of keeping an eye out (or pointing a big lens) when you see someone, MB in this case, play.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It's the forum's continuing, and somewhat baffling, obsession with who plays what and what MB plays in particular that makes it one of the recurring subjects here. :P Having seen discussions go there time and again, it's just a matter of keeping an eye out (or pointing a big lens) when you see someone, MB in this case, play.
When we all know that it's not the whistle but which hand is on the top that counts. :)

How many have changed hand position after watching Ms. Bergin play, rather than trying to get the same whistle?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I often wonder which whistles the professionals reach for when they are not on stage or practicing for a performance, those times when nobody is listening and it's just them and the whistle.
Maybe for some, the performance whistle is what they hack around with. Do they learn new tunes on a particularly favorite whistle, etc.?
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I think people label Feadógs and Clarkes as beginner whistles because they are cheap, and that there are now some very expensive high end whistles. But that was the original idea. A cheap instrument that anyone could own and play.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Enjoy! The whistle can be a lot of fun and a lifelong journey. Welcome.
BigBpiper

Post by BigBpiper »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:I often wonder which whistles the professionals reach for when they are not on stage or practicing for a performance, those times when nobody is listening and it's just them and the whistle.
Maybe for some, the performance whistle is what they hack around with. Do they learn new tunes on a particularly favorite whistle, etc.?
That's a great question. I know that when I'm by myself and not performing, I usually play lower and quieter. Right now, for me, that's my "good" generation Bb. I particularly enjoy slow airs on that one, but it's also amazing for other tunes, of course. What about the rest of you?
Cheers!
BigBpiper

Post by BigBpiper »

Steve Bliven wrote: When we all know that it's not the whistle but which hand is on the top that counts. :)

How many have changed hand position after watching Ms. Bergin play, rather than trying to get the same whistle?
You're right. It is the whistler that matters most, though I could share some rather awkward stories about a time when I had to perform with a whistle with a cracked labium since I'd forgotten my backup :lol: . The thing still played, hilariously enough, but it had that strange airy, sputtering sound.

Btw, I actually did attempt to change my fingering position after watching Ms. Bergin play :wink: I promptly switched back to my regular technique. In all honesty, it was the ornamentation that I outright stole from Ms. Bergin rather than her finger position :lol:
Cheers!