Performing live solo on whistle( normal/low D)with backing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hairyhobbit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Having studied and performing music professionally (double bass) 15 yrs ago (Jazz), have always loved Celtic music and in particular the timbre of the whistle... Also having played in a Celtic band, whilst predominantly bass, have messed about with the whistle on gigs... My true love is definitely the low Whistle! Looking forward to being part of a community who share the same interest.

Performing live solo on whistle( normal/low D)with backing

Post by Hairyhobbit »

Hello,
I am interested in performing live at festivals/markets and the like, pretty much solo... I have thought about using some form of backing?!?! Unsure as to what equipment will help facilitate this.. I currently have a loop pedal.. Was thinking about playing a basic 4 chord pattern, loop it, then pick up whistle and create basic melody, and then improvise??? Any ideas, especially better ones than mine most sincerely appreicated ?? Are there any free downloads that allow me to create keyboard drones that can be saved?

I love those moody syn/haunting keyboards drones... So intense.

What do any of you use?

Love all thoughts here people.
Kind regards
Hairyhobbit
BigBpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Re: Performing live solo on whistle( normal/low D)with backi

Post by BigBpiper »

Hmmmm. That's a great question. In my experience, a bodhran player has been a wonderful addition to solo playing. I don't really use a looping pedal since I, personally, don't really like it. However, if you play an accordion or guitar, or know someone who does, you could have them loop the 4 chord progression and then use that instead. Like I said, I prefer the bodhran accompaniment, but that's just a preference. You could probably loop both to get a nice backing track.
Hope this helps!
Cheers!