It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:18 am 

Hi there, I've only been playing for 3 months but really enjoying the whistle. I am playing a Dixon high D and do like it, paid about €25 for it. I now want to upgrade as I've decided the whistle is for me, and looking for a really nice whistle. I'm conscious that I'm only playing 3 months, so don't want a difficult whistle to play, something that's easy but also a step up from my current whistle. Budget is not really an issue as I want to invest in a nice instrument.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:53 pm 

Hi there!
Glad you are enjoying playing the whistle! Just one question, are you playing a Dixon polymer, or a Dixon trad (metal)? If playing the latter, you might enjoy upgrading to a Reyburn whistle in D. Though they are considered high-end, Ronaldo gives the option of buying two whistle bodies with one whistle head which helps avoid the need two buy two whistles. I believe they run around $200 USD. If you would like to research on your own a bit, go to www.tinwhistler.com and click on whistle reviews. Gregg Mahan reviews many whistles at a variety of prices and materials. He also frequently posts on C&F. Might help you in your search :)
Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 pm 

A Dixon trad, thanks a million will take a look

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm 

Well Wicklow Whistler, if you a in Wicklow, and you want to buy from makers in Ireland there is Killarney Whistles. Higher end in wood there is McManus whistles in Belfast.

No doubt you will get a lot of other recommendations :lol:

Davud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 am 

Thanks davud, yes I'm thinking about the Killarney whistle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:42 am 

I just wanted chime in with my own 2 cents-
The Dixon D Trad is a nice whistle- most beginners start out on cheaper level whistles that sometimes have trouble playing in tune. The Dixon is much more reliable and pleasing.
As I've always found with other instruments I've pursued, if I start out on a fairly good playable instrument, then I can progress for quite a while before needing to 'upgrade'. Sometimes I never need to if my starter instrument is nicely playable with a good tone. But one thing about this is that once you've played and improved for about a year or so, you usually have a much better idea of your particular needs, which then enables you to make a better informed personal choice on a more expensive upgrade. That could save you some expensive trial and error, based on your personal playing style and tastes.

Also, a more expensive whistle may not feel or sound great to YOU- it's somewhat relative to personal taste. Being able to try out an expensive whistle in person is a big plus- look for some way you can do that.
Sounds like you're going to start collecting good quality whistles anyway- you've clearly got the fever. :wink: But know that your Dixon is a sweet and well thought out whistle too, it plays nicely in tune and has a lovely tone, and it can sound really terrific in the hands of a skilled player. IMHO. :)

Last edited by Chifmunk on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:55 am 

Quote:
most beginners start out on cheaper level whistles that sometimes have trouble playing in tune.

But is it the whistle or the unskilled driver that is playing out of tune? Skills need to be learned first, regardless of the choice of instrument.

Depending on the type of music you want to play ofcourse but a Killarney @ €70-ish or A Cillian O'Briain 'improved' @ €30 will be reliable choices that will never need an 'upgrade'. A Timothy Potter whistle may be one to look at, from his website ( here ) or through ebay (postage cost may be a problem), they handle effortlessly well: are easy to play, very well balanced.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:13 am 

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Quote:
most beginners start out on cheaper level whistles that sometimes have trouble playing in tune.

But is it the whistle or the unskilled driver that is playing out of tune? Skills need to be learned first, regardless of the choice of instrument.

Yes, but it is certainly far easier to aquire those skills on a more reliable instrument. To me, a Dixon Trad would be perfect for a beginner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:00 pm 

BigBpiper wrote:

Yes, but it is certainly far easier to aquire those skills on a more reliable instrument. ...

I've used that excuse many times to buy nicer instruments. Trouble is, I still play badly. But at least I know who to blame. :thumbsup:

Bodhran; 16" Bridget

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:00 pm 

DaveVisi wrote:
I've used that excuse many times to buy nicer instruments. Trouble is, I still play badly. But at least I know who to blame. :thumbsup:

:lol: One of us needs to start a thread on the "best excuses to buy high-end whistles"!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:01 pm 

BigBpiper wrote:
DaveVisi wrote:

:lol: One of us needs to start a thread on the "best excuses to buy high-end whistles"!

They are cheaper than pipes.

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm 

Mr.Gumby wrote:
[But is it the whistle or the unskilled driver that is playing out of tune? Skills need to be learned first, regardless of the choice of instrument.

Very true. I still need a lot of practice, and a high-end whistle isn't going to make me sound any better. Much like an inexperienced driver would not become better in a Corvette Z06, and an inexperienced marksman will not shoot more accurately if firing a competition-grade rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:20 pm 

Dan A. wrote:
Very true. I still need a lot of practice, and a high-end whistle isn't going to make me sound any better. Much like an inexperienced driver would not become better in a Corvette Z06, and an inexperienced marksman will not shoot more accurately if firing a competition-grade rifle.

You're right. My point was more along the lines of: "an inexperienced driver might be safer in a car that's easier to control, aka, one that has good brakes." Similarly, I think a progressing whistler might get better if he has a reliable whistle to learn on like a trad rather than an out-of-tune, sqeaky, terrible, bad cheap whistle. I'm sorry if my comment offended anyone, as I certainly wasn't aiming to :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:26 pm 

Dan A. wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:
[But is it the whistle or the unskilled driver that is playing out of tune? Skills need to be learned first, regardless of the choice of instrument.

Dixon whistles are not very expensive, but are well crafted and usually play nicely and in tune. So, if a beginner is playing one of these and sounds awful, well at least they'll know it's probably not the whistle's fault... a handy thing to know if you are just starting out. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:55 pm 

BigBpiper wrote:
I'm sorry if my comment offended anyone, as I certainly wasn't aiming to.

I took no offense, so you're okay.