Remove oil from a whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Remove oil from a whistle

Post by Loren »

BelgianWaffle wrote:Thank you all for your advice ! I've written to mr. Swayne explaining the problem but have not yet heard back from

@Loren : a specific thank you for the extensive reply !

@mr. Busman : thanks ! What poly urethane coating would you use to do this ? I'm in Belgium, Europe... The windway would have to stay clear, right ?

Regards,
Jos
Jos, you’re welcome, I’m happy to help.

Paul’s suggestion to seal the whistle wherever it touches your lips and tongue is a good one, if Mr. Swayne is unable to help. My suggestion though would be to use “superglue” (cyanoacrylate), because unlike most other types of hard finishes it is relatively easy to remove with superglue specific solvent if you make a mistake, like getting some in the windway, or if you simply decide you don’t like it. Also, for your purposes I believe it would be much easier to control the application of the product, leading to fewer problems during application and therefore less likelihood of cleanup work and sanding after.

Finally, cured cyanoacrylate is likely a much safer material to have in your mouth than the standard sort of poly sealants you’re likely to find in a hardware store. That said, I am not a materials health and safety expert and I highly recommend you do your own due diligence and read up on the health and safety information on whatever product you choose to use.

If you decide to try using superglue, let me know and I will post detailed instructions with the necessary materials for the task. It’s a relatively quick and simple task.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

For context, John Skelton has an allergy to the cocus his flute is made from. He put a layer of superglue around the blow hole of his instrument and it seems to have worked fine for his issue.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Steve Bliven wrote:For context, John Skelton has an allergy to the cocus his flute is made from. He put a layer of superglue around the blow hole of his instrument and it seems to have worked fine for his issue.

Best wishes.

Steve
That’s where I originally got the idea :wink: I don’t recall for certain, but I think Patrick Olwell might have been the one who suggested the idea to John. Sadly it didn’t solve my problems as I had already become so sensitized that sealing the entire flute inside and out would have been required. If I’d had the knowledge and skill at the time I would have done so, instead I ended up having to part with a brand new Cocus Olwell :sniffle: But I did try, and the new owner ended up getting a fabulous new Olwell with very nice superglue lip plate. :lol: However, once your hands start reacting to the wood like mine did, you’re screwed.
BelgianWaffle

Post by BelgianWaffle »

Awaiting reply from mr. Swayne. If I don't get any, I'm very tempted to try the superglue thing. I'll get back to you then, Loren ! And I didn't know it even could affect your fingers. Wow !
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

HI, I was the first to reply with the "if it's not wood use dish soap" comment. Thanks everybody for their comments. I learned a lot, especially with the don't use Dawn on aluminum comment. I've never been a fan of aluminum so I never experienced that one. It does sound like you are dealing with an allergy and I wish you well as you sort it out.