Whistle Tuning

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Whistle Tuning

Post by pancelticpiper »

joshuaZ wrote: when one is playing in front of a tuner, every note can be intentionally blown to be in tune. However, in actual playing... there isn't time to adjust breathing carefully for every note
Yes exactly. When playing up to speed there's not time to tailor your breath for each note in order to fix an out-of-tune scale.

Even in slower tunes I don't want to have the burden of doing that. I want each note to be right where I expect it and need it, in tune, so that I can use my breath for expressive purposes (if I choose) rather than having to vary my breath for pitch correction.
joshuaZ wrote: the notes suffer from a variation from ET according to the design of the whistle/flute. This is further exacerbated by the fact that different whistles require different breathing pattern from across notes to be "needle straight up" in ET.
None of my whistles suffer from that variation.

I need them all to be in tune to ET, and they are. Some came that way, others didn't, and I had to modify them a bit.

I've used as many as a dozen different whistles at one gig, and I don't want to have to try to remember a dozen different quirky out-of-tune scales. So all of my whistles blow alike.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle