Feadóg D vs Feadóg pro

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
joshuaZ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in low and high whistles of all keys - and how to adjust them!
Built my own whistle body a while ago and am wondering what is the easiest way to built a mouthpiece.

Re: Feadóg D vs Feadóg pro

Post by joshuaZ »

I've just measured the inner bore using a caliper.

Standard brass: 12.00mm
Pro Nickel: 11.48mm

This is half the difference between a Bracker session bore and normal bore! Physics of acoustics: there is going to be a sound difference.

The brass and nickel version probably have the same config at the brass stage, but the nickel plating plates both sides, hence a reduction in bore size. Even in the non-pro version, the qualitative description of nickel vs brass in this forum loosely fits with small bore (higher frequencies enhanced, shrill/sweet/bright) vs normal bore (lower frequencies enhanced, mellow) expectations. Ultimately it's not the brass stage diameter, but the final inner bore diameter that matters.

Btw I mentioned standard version bending easily - you can see a milder version of that in Peter's picture, right most bore. I'm also curious why Peter's pro black is EXACTLY the same as standard black - does anyone else have a recent pro black version?

(Again, I'm not saying the Pro Nickel is 'better' than the standard, I'm just saying that there IS a difference, and that difference has offered me interesting options and controls.)