Full Metal Body Generation Whistles???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
thedarkpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Full Metal Body Generation Whistles???

Post by thedarkpiper »

Howdy Folks,

I've recently inherited two Generation (Eb and Bb) whistles, but... they are both full metal bodied? :o

Also something interesting to note is there is 3 sets of 'dual lines' top and bottom of the Bb whistle?

Beautiful but very old looking beasts... most curious about them, any thoughts?

p.s. both fipples look like a soft alloy... should I presume it's lead(?) especially with all the old teeth marks impregnated in them?
"Sunny Australia"
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Full Metal Body Generation Whistles???

Post by Mr.Gumby »

They went through various stages over time, 'four generations' up to the early eighties in the pic above. The ones with the decorative lines are pretty much like the standard late 19th century whistle.
My brain hurts

whistlecollector
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Full Metal Body Generation Whistles???

Post by whistlecollector »

thedarkpiper wrote:p.s. both fipples look like a soft alloy... should I presume it's lead(?) especially with all the old teeth marks impregnated in them?
Yep, the blocks on these old whistles (whether Generation or B&S or Dulcet or NoName) are lead. Clean the whistle well and coat the exposed lead with a few coats of clear nail varnish if you want to play. Scotch tape will also work. You just need a barrier between your mouth and the bare lead.

Oh, and don't chew on the things the way your ancestors did! :D

Did any stories come with the whistles? Who played them in your family, or were they just curios?
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373