At what age did you start playing/ learning the tin whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: At what age did you start playing/ learning the tin whis

Post by Sedi »

Tin whistle was the 2nd instrument I got. The 1st was actually (don't laugh) a noseflute I got when I was 8 (still have it). And while many consider it a gimmick, IMO it is one of the hardest instruments to play really well. There's only a handful of people on Youtube who can play noseflute without sounding out of tune.
I got my 1st tin whistle at around 12 or 13 (a Generation in C which I still own). Played only by ear and learned some stuff I liked at the time (Beatles and stuff like that). I had classic flute lessons for about a half year then. And I pretty much stopped playing the tin whistle when I started playing guitar when I was 17. Played hours and hours every day and in different bands (mostly blues, rock, and some jazz). Only a few years ago I started to regain my interest in the whistle and bought a Chieftain V4. Then came a lot more and I also made a few myself from PVC-tubing. I also play ocarina (I'd say -- mid-level) and blues-harp. But I decided that the tin whistle will be my main instrument henceforth. Can't play much guitar anymore anyway since an injury of my left index finger which never healed properly so after playing a few minutes my finger hurts. The whistle puts much less strain on the fingers than a guitar. And I just like the concept of wind instruments in general. IMO an instrument you play with your breath can be played more expressively and soulful (probably a lot of BS but works for me personally).