Wooden Low Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chino
antispam: No

Wooden Low Whistles?

Post by Chino »

Hi blowers,

I'd be interested to buy a wooden Low Whistle, (Low D, C, B or Bb).

I'm not very aware of the excellent wooden low whistle makers:I know Michael Grinter makes beautiful wooden low whistles, but he doesn't make any Low D anymore, only Low F.

Solen Lesouef or Yvon Le Coant make wooden low whistles, but I don't like their design very much, too "baroque-recorder" like to my taste. :D

So, unless someone want to sell his Michael Grinter's Low D ( :P ), what are the other makers to consider?
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Wooden Low Whistles?

Post by pancelticpiper »

There was a thread not long ago

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104183
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Jon Swayne certainly makes nice whistles, but I've not seen one bigger than Low F. I think the 'Michael Grinter doesn't make Low Ds anymore' line is possibly a myth. He has a recently updated website and you could email him to ask. The Garvie D is rather pricey IMO, and when I last spoke to Nigel Richards he was talking about stopping making them. Again, email him for more info.

A nice wooden Low whistle can be a great thing (I have a Grinter D) but you have to balance the niceness and the relative 'oooh' factor with the fact that they're fragile and you can't just lug them round sessions willy-nilly like you can with a blooming big Goldie. If you get a Goldie, Burke, or MK you don't have to worry about some eejit sitting on it or dropping it.

Or buy a flute... :)

m.d.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi emmdee

Next time our paths cross you can try my Swayne low D. I think you will like it.

Bleazey low D whistles appear to be a small hole Rudall flute body with a recorder style head, at least that is what my Bleazey looks like.
A young friend of mine has a Bleazey flute, we swapped bodies and with his head joint on my body it played as a keyless flute and his body with my whistle head played as a whistle. I assume he uses the same reamers for both.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Chino

Post by Chino »

pancelticpiper wrote:There was a thread not long ago

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104183
Thanks, I'll have a look. :)
emmdee wrote:Jon Swayne certainly makes nice whistles, but I've not seen one bigger than Low F. I think the 'Michael Grinter doesn't make Low Ds anymore' line is possibly a myth. He has a recently updated website and you could email him to ask. The Garvie D is rather pricey IMO, and when I last spoke to Nigel Richards he was talking about stopping making them. Again, email him for more info.

A nice wooden Low whistle can be a great thing (I have a Grinter D) but you have to balance the niceness and the relative 'oooh' factor with the fact that they're fragile and you can't just lug them round sessions willy-nilly like you can with a blooming big Goldie. If you get a Goldie, Burke, or MK you don't have to worry about some eejit sitting on it or dropping it.

Or buy a flute... :)

m.d.
Hi Emdee,

Well, a whistle is a flute no? :D

I'll see Jon Swayne and Garvie whistles, thanks for these infos.

It's not a myth for my assertion that MG doesn't make any Low D: he told me recently that he isn’t offering Low D whistles at the moment because he is having issues with timber supplies in that size and so has pulled them off the list for now.

Btw, I don't play in session but I've got some Goldie's Overton I love (and I had a lot of other top whistles as well in the past) but I'd like to have a wooden Low whistle in my arsenal (Grinter, O'Riordan or other top makers) and the caring (oiling etc) is not a problem! :D

And what do you think about your Grinter low D? Is it a great whistle?
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

While Sweetheart whistles (Ralph Sweet) are no longer in business, his brother Walt may still make a wooden low D, though it would likely be a custom order, as they require a lot of labour and have a small market. They also have a conical bore.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

nicx66 wrote:While Sweetheart whistles (Ralph Sweet) are no longer in business, his brother Walt may still make a wooden low D, though it would likely be a custom order, as they require a lot of labour and have a small market. They also have a conical bore.
Joseph Morneault, a long time employee of Ralph Sweet has now taken over the business I believe.
http://musiquemorneaux.com/about/
http://musiquemorneaux.com/low-whistles/

I have no low whistle experience with this business.
aphillips
Tell us something.: I've gone down many rabbit holes starting with whistles and continuing with many different kinds of bagpipes. I founded and run the 30 musician ensemble Folk Orchestra Santa Barbara.

Post by aphillips »

I received two of Peter Aschenbrenner's whistles last July - Low D and Low F - both in mopane. They sound incredible and the craftsmanship is impeccable! Definitely check his instruments out.

http://www.pa-music.com/en/instrument-m ... les/detail
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

Walt Sweet doesn't make wooden whistles.Just the delrin high and low Ds

P.S.-He's Ralph's son,not brother.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

I like my Grinter very much, but it's pretty useless in a session setting as it's not that loud. And it's fragile! I haven't really taken it to sessions unless I knew there'd be a lot of singing. Fred Morrison (the piper) had a Grinter Low D which I know for a fact he hated as he said the intonation was bad. Handmade instruments - each one is different...

Davy, I look forward to running into you and your Swayne Low D soon. I phoned Jon Swayne once and found the experience a tad unusual in that he didn't exactly go out of his way to try to sell me one - I got the impression he'd rather be shot at dawn than speak to me! Maybe I got him on a bad day... but I do like his whistles a lot. I have a friend in Germany who has a really nice boxwood Low F. I'm sure if you get Mr Swayne out the right side of the bed you'd be well set.

m.d.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi emmdee

You can try the Bleazey as well, I think I got it after the last time we met.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

brianholton wrote:I'd recommend the Garvie low D: http://www.garviebagpipes.co.uk/info/wh ... istle.html
Nigel has closed the Garvie order list for the moment, but is making arrangements for his low D whistle to be made in Galicia.