Feadog Mark I Nickel Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dan A.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Re: Feadog Mark I Nickel Whistle

Post by Dan A. »

pancelticpiper wrote:I can't recall having to do that with ordinary (high) whistles, just on Low Whistles.
I have to clear my whistles frequently. Either I'm doing something wrong or am borderline hyper-salivating.
pancelticpiper wrote:Aesthetically I've always really liked the look of the MK1 heads. It's a lovely design, makes them visually distinctive, and they don't roll off tables in the pubs!
Though I've been fortunate enough to never have a whistle roll off a table, dresser, etc, the built-in anti-roll prevention is a nice feature.
The Lurking Fear
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Feadog Mark I Nickel Whistle

Post by The Lurking Fear »

pancelticpiper wrote:Yes I can't remember offhand seeing Feadogs back in the day with nickel bodies, but that's been nearly 40 years!
I never heard of Mark Ones having brass tubes or heads that weren't green until I started lurking here years ago.
Here's what I have to hand:

L-R:
1) my working go-to high D since c1980, a very fine player, though low in volume.

2) one that has sat in the drawer since I bought it in the early 1980s, doesn't play quite as well as #1.

3) I don't remember when I got this one, but it's a fine player, and much louder than the MK1s.

I do recall back in the 80s how the first Feadogs I saw were like the one on the left with the bottle green tops.

Later I started seeing ones with the more olive-green tops like the centre one.
I can't remember where I got them from but when I saw Feadogs were available again I bought 4 of those 2nd generations through the mail.And they ALL were awful.I don't mean they weren't as good as the originals,they were just plain....yuk. Guess I just had bad luck.

Coming from the era when all we had were Generations and Clarkes I hope you understand I'm not excessively picky!