What is this whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What is this whistle

Post by DrPhill »

Hi all,

Can anyone identify the whistle in this video (if it is a whistle, of course). My best guess is a Swayne, but since I have never seen seen one in real life I cannot be sure.

Thanks

Phill
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What is this whistle

Post by Wanderer »

The video's blocked in the US, but I was able to get a view of the thumbnail image. It looks a lot like the Swayne I reviewed in 2006. The mouthpiece of the whistle is tulip-headed, and the end of the whistle looks thicker, and the tuning slide area also looks right for a Swayne.

│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks for that Wanderer - the flare at the bottom, and the tulip head where that clues I was following. I tried to cut some clips from the video, but the resolution is low (does not show in video, but is noticeable in stills). They might be better than the thumbnail though:

Phill

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

What whistle? There's a whistle there? :shock:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Steve Bliven wrote:What whistle? There's a whistle there? :shock:

Best wishes.

Steve
Distracted were you? Whatever you do do not watch their video 'Walpugisnacht' then.
Phill

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Wanderer wrote: It looks a lot like the Swayne I reviewed in 2006.
That review is here. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36872&start=0
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Yep, certainly looks like a Swayne.

Now, while I did not expect for one moment that the video would show the actual recording process, I find it hard to reconcile the notes being played with a low D whistle. I think I can pick out the notes on a high D whistle, but if I am right that would put the low D entirely in the upper octave. This seems unlikely to me.

[Edit: and what is the name of that stringed instrument with a crank handle?]
Phill

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It neither looks nor sounds like a low D. The notes are playable on standard C, alto G* or F (except one bit where we hear sustained high notes in the background with video where she's not playing), but her finger movements where we can see them aren't entirely consistent with any one of these. So, while it looks like something alto-ish she's playing, said playing appears to have been somewhat carelessly mimed for the video shoot and hasn't necessarily been filmed on the same whistle. Though it does sound plausibly Swayne.

*It's more awkward on the G because you need half-holed notional F (sounding Bb). Also possible on a Bb (requiring notional G#, sounding E), but unlikely. Normally I get these things from note-to-note timbre, ornamentation etc. as well as key, but struggling a bit here. I think it's probably a C but, as already stated, it looks alto and the fingerings on video don't always match.

The other thing is a hurdy gurdy.
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:[Edit: and what is the name of that stringed instrument with a crank handle?]
It's a hurdy-gurdy.

Dammit! Peter got there first. :swear:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Jemtheflute has a Jon Swayne whistle. I can't make the thing produce anything remotely musical, but it sounds lovely when Jem plays it. Then again, so far, I haven't had much success with wooden whistles. I'm much better with metal ones.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote:What whistle? There's a whistle there? :shock:

Best wishes.

Steve
Distracted were you? Whatever you do do not watch their video 'Walpugisnacht' then.
I just watched the Walpurgisnacht one. Very nicely done. Those videos must cost a fortune! I'm very impressed with the production quality. Good entertainment, though not really my sort of stuff.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:It's a hurdy-gurdy.

Yes, but you got the hyphen!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:It's a hurdy-gurdy.

Yes, but you got the hyphen!
:)
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Ah, so that is a hurdy-gurdy. It has always been a word without a referent to me. Must find some clips of a hurdy-gurdy playing on its own.
benhall.1 wrote:I just watched the Walpurgisnacht one. Very nicely done. Those videos must cost a fortune! I'm very impressed with the production quality. Good entertainment, though not really my sort of stuff.
I like the 'primitive, pagan' stuff. I found it very entertaining aurally and visually.
Peter Duggan wrote:It neither looks nor sounds like a low D.
I thought that the length looked about right - or are you referring solely to the fingerings used in the video?
Peter Duggan wrote:The notes are playable on standard C, alto G* or F (except one bit where we hear sustained high notes in the background with video where she's not playing), but her finger movements where we can see them aren't entirely consistent with any one of these.
Ah, at least partly the fingerings.
Peter Duggan wrote: So, while it looks like something alto-ish she's playing, said playing appears to have been somewhat carelessly mimed for the video shoot and hasn't necessarily been filmed on the same whistle. Though it does sound plausibly Swayne.
Thanks, Peter, that is helpful. I was trying to pick out the notes on a D and got some of them..... I will pitch it down in audacity and try again.
Phill

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Likely she chose that whistle for the video because, being wooden, it looks the most 'medieval'.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis