Brass or Nickel Kilarney?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Brass or Nickel Kilarney?

Post by Polara Pat »

My instinct is to go with the nickel for no other reason that I like shiny things. Is there much difference sound wise in the two bodies?
awildman

Re: Brass or Nickel Kilarney?

Post by awildman »

No.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have a preference for nickel whistles, for whatever reason, over brass. I do believe they are a tad brighter sounding than brass but the difference is a matter of nuance and possibly negligible. The mix of a white and a yellow metal could be a consideration. An all brass whistle is probably the nicer, more balanced, looking option but again, while my initial reaction to the mixed metal Killarneys was one of 'yuk', not a good idea, in practice it doesn't really matter.
My brain hurts

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have a preference for nickel whistles, for whatever reason, over brass. I do believe they are a tad brighter sounding than brass but the difference is a matter of nuance and possibly negligible. The mix of a white and a yellow metal could be a consideration. An all brass whistle is probably the nicer, more balanced, looking option but again, while my initial reaction to the mixed metal Killarneys was one of 'yuk', not a good idea, in practice it doesn't really matter.
Kind of what I thought but figured I would see what you folks thought. I tried my friend's nickel D and liked it a lot. I was surprised at the weight of the thing.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Mr.Gumby wrote:An all brass whistle is probably the nicer, more balanced, looking option
Curiously, I think the white/yellow contrast looks quite smart, so no gripes about the appearance of my nickel Killarney. Bought mine before they were available with brass bodies, but generally prefer brass for handling when nickel can feel comparatively slippy under the fingers or, perhaps more significantly, thumbs.

I wouldn't worry about the sound.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:An all brass whistle is probably the nicer, more balanced, looking option
Curiously, I think the white/yellow contrast looks quite smart, so no gripes about the appearance of my nickel Killarney. Bought mine before they were available with brass bodies, but generally prefer brass for handling when nickel can feel comparatively slippy under the fingers or, perhaps more significantly, thumbs.

I wouldn't worry about the sound.
Interesting that you say that about the slippery nickel finish. My nickel Oak feels like it's covered in bacon fat. I was thinking about roughing it up a bit.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Better to stick some tape on the back (more reversible)! I don't, but others do...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I never quite understood about slippery silver whistles, as that was all I ever played, until I got used to a brass Killarney, and I guess it's true that silver is more slippery. It's also true that you get used to whatever you use.

I prefer the silver color, but I found that my silver Killarney tarnished and wore off around the finger holes pretty quickly.

I always played a silver generation and the silver also wore off on it, but it is 40 years old.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have both and enjoy them both. The differences are slight. You will likely be happy with either.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Aesthetically, I like things that are well maintained with the tarnish of natural aging, which you would see on brass whistles or older nickel. Regarding the Killarneys, the nickel and brass combination is jaunty. I don’t think there is a big difference in the voice of nickel v. brass, but for me, I tend to play better on whistles that I find aesthetically attractive.
Last edited by Tyler DelGregg on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I have both. I prefer the brass - my friend Gregorio prefers the nickel. They're both really good. If I were to try to describe the difference between the brass and nickel whistles I have, I'd say that the brass is a little warmer and the nickel is a little brighter. However, the differences really are small, and it may be that those differences are between those particular whistles, and not necessarily common to all brass and nickel Killarney whistles.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Brass D is en route. I can't wait!!
Mikros
Tell us something.: I have a few tin whistles and am interested in learning more about them and also possibly venturing into flutes. This site looks very good for the topics. :)

Post by Mikros »

Polara Pat wrote:Brass D is en route. I can't wait!!

Very cool, I think either option looks great, ( I think the yellow/silver looks sharp ) but I think I would order a brass one for myself. Could flip a coin really.

Those are really nice looking whistles, I can see one in my future. lol

This forum is going to cost me, I can already tell. I ordered an MK Pro Low D yesterday so I'm going to have to wait a while, but I like the look of these Kilarneys a lot.