Feadog c brass arrived today tweak question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
devilock76
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Experienced musician but new to the tin whistle. Not sure what else to say about myself but since one hundred characters are required this should do it.

Feadog c brass arrived today tweak question

Post by devilock76 »

Overall an interesting next step from the Clark Celtic Sweetone. I like the feel and tone a touch more but I will have to do my first tweaks. The bell tone is sharp almost a full 50 cents and the problem exacerbates as you move up the scale. So I guess I will need to go for the hot water and pull the head.

Should I pull the head completely off to apply something like Vaseline to the tube or just get it out enough to get the bell tone closer to intune.

Also should I pull the head to get the bell tone maybe slightly flat to compensate for the upper scale on a cylindrical bore?

I am waiting to test again and make sure the whistle is at room temp first and make sure there is no technique issues in the tuning.

Ken
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Re: Feadog c brass arrived today tweak question

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I take the head off and fill the back cavity with poster putty and apply cork grease on the tone body. The D seems easier to tweak than the C. I leave the holes alone, but others on this forum can tell you how that’s done. If I still don’t like the whistle, I call it a bust.
Many people buy professionally tweaked whistles to avoid the hassle.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

On my feadogs, both 1st generation mk1 D whistles, the heads came off easily without needing hot water.
devilock76
Tell us something.: Experienced musician but new to the tin whistle. Not sure what else to say about myself but since one hundred characters are required this should do it.

Post by devilock76 »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:I take the head off and fill the back cavity with poster putty and apply cork grease on the tone body. The D seems easier to tweak than the C. I leave the holes alone, but others on this forum can tell you how that’s done. If I still don’t like the whistle, I call it a bust.
Many people buy professionally tweaked whistles to avoid the hassle.
Yeah I can see why on the professionally tweaked. For now as a newbie I am considering this time of my whoad as sampling the character and flavor of the cheapies as is.
devilock76

Post by devilock76 »

nicx66 wrote:On my feadogs, both 1st generation mk1 D whistles, the heads came off easily without needing hot water.
I can give it more elbow grease for sure. I was worried about tearing the fipple head, not sure how tough they are.

Ken
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I never tweak. I just pull the head off - with hot water if necessary. IME no other tweak is necessary. Having said which, I do own several tweaked whistles, only one of which I like - one by Cillian O'Briain.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ditto that.
My brain hurts

devilock76

Post by devilock76 »

I got the fipple head off and now we it is better in tune. Still some variance but not enough to be unplayable or not a factor of technique. I think I want to try the fill the fipple void tweak now.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think I want to try the fill the fipple void tweak now.
I have never found it to make any noticeable difference to the playability of any whistle
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

devilock76 wrote:Also should I pull the head to get the bell tone maybe slightly flat to compensate for the upper scale on a cylindrical bore?
Probably not. Assuming you mean upper scale rather than octave, what you've found is consistent with the head being on too far because the error in head position will be a bigger proportion of the sounding length the more fingers you take off. Typical relationship of bore to flat/sharp second octaves is another matter not relevant to tuning within the first octave.
Mr.Gumby wrote:Ditto that.
Normally no need, but fashionably overrated!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

If you fill the cavity with poster putty and don’t like it, you can take it out fairly easily. I actually have a Generation D with filled cavity which I like. However, I find my Generation Bb better not tweaked. That’s the good thing about cheap whistles; you can fiddle with them without a huge loss of cash.
devilock76

Post by devilock76 »

Well now that it is better in tune I will play as is. I may do the putty thing or not, depends if I continue to like it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's no harm in trying it for yourself. Some people swear by it, some others don't see the point.
My brain hurts

Tyler DelGregg

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Since you own a Clarke Sweetone, let me throw this at you. If ever there were a whistle that should not be tweaked, it is the Clarke Original, which comes in D and C. While many people prefer the D, the C is a close relative, probably, of the 19th century sound which the Artful Dodger and Fagin would recognize.
Many a cold night have I spent pleasantly with the Clarke Original and a sip of the barley.
devilock76

Post by devilock76 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There's no harm in trying it for yourself. Some people swear by it, some others don't see the point.
If I recall people seem to say it makes it less touchy, to squeaks or jump8ng to the 2nd octave. I am noticing the touchiness, compared to the Sweetone. However at this point that might be a good thing to help me work more on technique and breath control.