It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: An introduction
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:53 pm 

So I am an experienced, I guess retired semi-pro musician. As in used to be very active in the cover circuit in the area and paid well for it as a side gig to the day job, mostly bass guitar but I play many instruments. I just got my first whistle, a clarke's celtic D. I guess it is basically a painted sweetone. This is my first woodwind since the days of tenor saxophone in high school.

Anyway I am finding the whistle to be such a remarkable instrument, simplicity and flexibility in a small package with a unique tone. I must confess it already has me curious about irish flute as an instrument I might like to try.

Anyway I asked for it as a random christmas thing and sure enough my wife got this one for me. It is already opening the WhOAD door. So for my one week in piece here is a recording apropos for this time of year from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy8TzLb ... e=youtu.be

I am just starting to focus more on cuts and taps and not tonguing so much.

Not sure how into doing much traditional irish music I will be. For right now playing around with stuff I know from other genres and attempting to practice air in g on my whistle.

So to add a question to this long intro, I am already thinking about my next whistle. I like this one but already want more in the flock, and need to sort out a reasonable case for them. I am thinking of getting a c whistle next. The ones I have been thinking of trying next.

1. Clark original
2. Walton
3. Generation
4. Feadog
5. Dixon Trad

So my thoughts. I think I might like a less airy more pure tone one. I don't want nickle, I have a nickle allergy which already has caused me enough fun on choosing bass strings. I am thinking I want to try a cylindrical bore for the next one. All of what I said I think would lean me towards the walton or the dixon, but I am thinking sticking with the "cheapies" for now means maybe going for the walton in c.

Anyway thanks for having me and happy new year.

Ken

Post subject: Re: An introduction
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:27 pm 

Welcome to C&F! Though I have no experience with C whistles, I own both a Walton's and a Feadóg in D. Obviously, there is no difference in how they're played, but the Feadóg has a more mellow sound. It is also not as shrill when I get into the second octave. The Walton's, however, seems to be less affected by clogging. Hopefully that is helpful, and enjoy your whistling!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:01 pm 

In my scanning of the first 100 plus pages of posts I was getting that a Feadog was shrill. But it is more mellow? I think that might be up my alley. Or of course getting all of them as proper newbie woad dictates...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:10 pm 

devilock76 wrote:
In my scanning of the first 100 plus pages of posts I was getting that a Feadog was shrill. But it is more mellow?

That is my perception as applied to D whistles. Your mileage may vary, of course. As inexpensive as whistles are, getting one of each might not be a bad idea!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:56 pm 

Well I just ordered a brass Feadog whistle in c through amazon. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:20 am 

Welcome!
If you're considering a flute you can't go wrong with one from Doug Tipple. They're made from humble PVC pipe but Doug waves his magic wand and makes them play like a "real" Irish flute. I have a Glenn Schultz flute that I love, and I was amazed when I tried a friend's Tipple. The price is very right too.
http://tippleflutes.com/

I have absolutely no commercial interest in these flutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 am 

Welcome to the whistle forum. Enjoy your WHOAD... I mean playing! :)