wooden whistles (indian bamboo?) as per Siesta but in tune

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
musicmadsimon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

wooden whistles (indian bamboo?) as per Siesta but in tune

Post by musicmadsimon »

I have several cheap wooden whistles that I've bought fomr places like Siesta over the years but never in concert pitch. Some look like bamboo others may be bamboo or another wood but with a mottled surface that I realise is actually a beautiful light coloured pattern. The latter have an atypical fipple end with a movable ring of wood over the barrel that forms the blow hole. Think it may be from the Andes. Adjusting the ring affects the tone. The tone of both types can be lovely if chosen carefully but never in tune. Not knowing how the two registers relate I'm not sure they can be fully tuned to itself let alone concert! Is there anyone making 'whistles' from these materials in concert tuning? I know there are excellent makers producing beautiful whistles but I like the look and tone of the cheap ones.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: wooden whistles (indian bamboo?) as per Siesta but in tu

Post by s1m0n »

These are mostly unstruments, I'm afraid. Or at least, I've never found one that could be played in tune or in any other instrument's company. I don't know anyone making music-quality versions of a bamboo whistle. They're cheap tourist-trade tat, IMO - a souvenir to hang on your wall.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Perhaps the bamboo instrument is merely geographical or cultural being made without any notion of concert pitch.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Perhaps, but it makes little practical difference.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have one, made in India as I recall, that I bought for $2 at Disneyland back in the 1980s.

It plays great! Lovely tone, and the octaves are spot-on.

The scale was wonky, having the equal-sized-equal-spaced layout often seen on folk instruments, which gives you a neutral 3rd.

With carving and tape I got the scale in tune.

It's stamped "B" but I can't remember checking it for pitch.

With the band I played in back in the 80s we would do a whistle & drum thing, me playing that and a couple guys playing bodhran. The whistle was perfect for that slightly primitive Old School sound.

PS what is 'siesta' other than a nap?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle