An introduction

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
devilock76
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Experienced musician but new to the tin whistle. Not sure what else to say about myself but since one hundred characters are required this should do it.

An introduction

Post by devilock76 »

So I am an experienced, I guess retired semi-pro musician. As in used to be very active in the cover circuit in the area and paid well for it as a side gig to the day job, mostly bass guitar but I play many instruments. I just got my first whistle, a clarke's celtic D. I guess it is basically a painted sweetone. This is my first woodwind since the days of tenor saxophone in high school.

Anyway I am finding the whistle to be such a remarkable instrument, simplicity and flexibility in a small package with a unique tone. I must confess it already has me curious about irish flute as an instrument I might like to try.

Anyway I asked for it as a random christmas thing and sure enough my wife got this one for me. It is already opening the WhOAD door. So for my one week in piece here is a recording apropos for this time of year from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy8TzLb ... e=youtu.be

I am just starting to focus more on cuts and taps and not tonguing so much.

Not sure how into doing much traditional irish music I will be. For right now playing around with stuff I know from other genres and attempting to practice air in g on my whistle.

So to add a question to this long intro, I am already thinking about my next whistle. I like this one but already want more in the flock, and need to sort out a reasonable case for them. I am thinking of getting a c whistle next. The ones I have been thinking of trying next.

1. Clark original
2. Walton
3. Generation
4. Feadog
5. Dixon Trad

So my thoughts. I think I might like a less airy more pure tone one. I don't want nickle, I have a nickle allergy which already has caused me enough fun on choosing bass strings. I am thinking I want to try a cylindrical bore for the next one. All of what I said I think would lean me towards the walton or the dixon, but I am thinking sticking with the "cheapies" for now means maybe going for the walton in c.

Anyway thanks for having me and happy new year.

Ken
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Re: An introduction

Post by Dan A. »

Welcome to C&F! Though I have no experience with C whistles, I own both a Walton's and a Feadóg in D. Obviously, there is no difference in how they're played, but the Feadóg has a more mellow sound. It is also not as shrill when I get into the second octave. The Walton's, however, seems to be less affected by clogging. Hopefully that is helpful, and enjoy your whistling!
devilock76
Tell us something.: Experienced musician but new to the tin whistle. Not sure what else to say about myself but since one hundred characters are required this should do it.

Post by devilock76 »

In my scanning of the first 100 plus pages of posts I was getting that a Feadog was shrill. But it is more mellow? I think that might be up my alley. Or of course getting all of them as proper newbie woad dictates...
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

devilock76 wrote:In my scanning of the first 100 plus pages of posts I was getting that a Feadog was shrill. But it is more mellow?
That is my perception as applied to D whistles. Your mileage may vary, of course. As inexpensive as whistles are, getting one of each might not be a bad idea!
devilock76

Post by devilock76 »

Well I just ordered a brass Feadog whistle in c through amazon. Thank you.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Welcome!
If you're considering a flute you can't go wrong with one from Doug Tipple. They're made from humble PVC pipe but Doug waves his magic wand and makes them play like a "real" Irish flute. I have a Glenn Schultz flute that I love, and I was amazed when I tried a friend's Tipple. The price is very right too.
http://tippleflutes.com/

I have absolutely no commercial interest in these flutes.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the whistle forum. Enjoy your WHOAD... I mean playing! :)