What is this low whistle please?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

What is this low whistle please?

Post by Mikethebook »

Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUmQgVIQsGg At first glance it looks like a Goldie but check out the holes? What is it and what key?
whistlecollector

Re: What is this low whistle please?

Post by whistlecollector »

Mikethebook wrote:Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUmQgVIQsGg At first glance it looks like a Goldie but check out the holes? What is it and what key?
Interesting. Could be tuning rings or (rather low) chimneys. Or simply decorative.

Couldn't find anything about the whistle itself, though I guess you could pop on down to London next month and ask? :D
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Don't understand. Is Calum Stewart playing in London?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mikethebook wrote:Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUmQgVIQsGg At first glance it looks like a Goldie but check out the holes? What is it and what key?
Nice music. :thumbsup: Thanks for the link. Now I'm going to have buy a CD. :)

I looked at the whistle and do not know what brand it is. I think maybe the two raised tone holes give stregth to the low end?

I also watched the next tune with Calum Stewart playing what looks like a Goldie?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Yes, that was a Goldie, I think, possibly an A. Here's Calum Stewart playing the mystery whistle so it's probably his and it looks like a Low D. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBLPNFUxdAc. This also from the new album.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Mikethebook wrote:Don't understand. Is Calum Stewart playing in London?
Indeed!

http://www.heathstreet.org/events/calum ... uary-2018/

Ten quid gets all your questions answered!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here's my theory: the whistle was originally made with offset holes, but somebody wanted inline holes, so they put rings/collars on to seal the original holes, and new inline holes were drilled.

It's those two holes which are offset sometimes, to customer's order.

I've encountered a number of old Overtons over the years with strange hole configurations, it's why that possibility came to mind.

I retro-fitted a whistle once with a tuning slide using similar tubing one telescoping size larger. It would be easy enough, and very inexpensive, to move fingerholes that way. Though I myself would probably have bought a new whistle-body from the maker (though if it's a vintage Overton that's not an option).

Is it just me or is the whistle inaudible?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

pancelticpiper wrote: Is it just me or is the whistle inaudible?

I spent a while looking for the mic, and I still don't see one. It's probably artfully hidden somewhere, but put a set of pipes next to a low whistle and the pipes will beat it out anytime. I can just barely make the whistle out if I concentrate on it, and only really in the upper octave.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

pancelticpiper wrote:Here's my theory: the whistle was originally made with offset holes, but somebody wanted inline holes, so they put rings/collars on to seal the original holes, and new inline holes were drilled.

It's those two holes which are offset sometimes, to customer's order.

I've encountered a number of old Overtons over the years with strange hole configurations, it's why that possibility came to mind.

I retro-fitted a whistle once with a tuning slide using similar tubing one telescoping size larger. It would be easy enough, and very inexpensive, to move fingerholes that way. Though I myself would probably have bought a new whistle-body from the maker (though if it's a vintage Overton that's not an option).

Is it just me or is the whistle inaudible?
Not just you, I can barely hear it.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

My theory is the raised holes are for quick fingering location and strengthening particular notes. I too have difficulty hearing whistle well.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Putting a collar around a hole then drilling through a double thickness would make the chimney twice as high, which I don't think would strengthen the note.

In my experience making the walls of a woodwind thicker gives the notes coming out of the holes darker and softer. That's the last thing you would want from Holes 3 and 6, which are the most out-of-position from the standpoint of acoustics, already the darkest and softest notes.

Until the person who did the modification explains, I'll stick to my theory that it was a matter of resizing and/or repositioning those holes. I wonder if the modification was done by the present owner, or some previous owner.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I’ve seen something similar on Gary Somers aluminium flute.
He says it’s to strengthen the E I think.

“A thicker wall on the bottom hole reinforces the E note.”

http://somers-flutes.com/aluminium-flute-delrin-head
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Mystery solved. The whistle is a one-off small bore low D made by Colin Goldie for Calum Stewart who had requirements regarding playability and the strengthening of certain notes. That is the end result.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tommy wrote: I think maybe the two raised tone holes give stregth to the low end?
Yes, that is what Tommy Said.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Tommy wrote:
Tommy wrote: I think maybe the two raised tone holes give stregth to the low end?
Yes, that is what Tommy Said.
Nicely said, and you ought to know! :)