Second high-end whistle - Liam O'Flynn question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Krasnojarsk

Second high-end whistle - Liam O'Flynn question

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Hi!

Sorry about the long subject line: this is my second thread here ever in 11 years (first one was asking about first high-end whistle to buy, got an Overton High D back 2006, and I absolutely love it).

Either way, after a wonderful experience with buying and falling in love with a Killarney D a month back, I'd really like to get a high C as well, being particularly inspired by Liam O'Flynn's Clare Jig sound on the 2004 Planxty DVD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBiBnhvWByE). Now, I've been through some old threads (e.g. viewtopic.php?t=32907) but I can't find a definitive answer to what C whistle he plays during that concert (or that particular jig at least). Any input would be appreciated.

Second question: I've thought for ages that it's a Burke, and my trigger finger is SO itchy to buy a Burke narrow bore C. So regardless of whether he plays one or not (I know he plays them in other songs), would anyone care to stop me, or do you reckon I'd be happy with that? I'd like to buy a brand that you can listen to all over the internet, so Burkes should be a pretty safe bet I guess. I'm based in Sweden, meaning we get the apocalyptic riders of doom that are customs and VAT, but you can only treat yourself to Christmas presents a couple of times a year, so...

Thanks in advance, and great to be back from the Fipple shadows! Looking forward to getting a new C whistle, considering my only one is my Dad's old knackered, hand painted and half crushed Generation from the 70s...

Pelle
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Second high-end whistle - Liam O'Flynn question

Post by Mr.Gumby »

During those 2004 concerts he used Generation whistles and a D Burke. The one in the video is his Generation C whistle Brass/red head/black tape wrap).
My brain hurts

Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Thanks a lot! It's a beautiful sound. Now that's sorted: any suggestions regarding Burke C narrow bores...? Haven't found many recordings of them, or maybe I haven't looked in the right places...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Looking forward to getting a new C whistle, considering my only one is my Dad's old knackered, hand painted and half crushed Generation from the 70s...
You could ofcourse get a new tube (assuming it's the tube that's half crushed) and put the old head on it. Then you only will have to make it sound like Flynn's Image
My brain hurts

Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

That's true... But both the head and tube are knackered... So I would have to go back in time to ask my Dad to not put it in the washing machine or whatever he did... :D
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

But yeah, among other things, I'm looking for a whistle that's more responsive than my old Generation. The Killarney D is great in that regard, any input on the Burke C? Not sure what feature of whistles gives them greater responsiveness/pop in e.g. rolls.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Hi and welcome back! I've no experience with Burkes but, if you like the Killarney, which is very similar to a Sindt by all accounts, I'd recommend considering a Sindt C if you are able to find one. I have all if the Sindt keys and they all play very similar to each other. Thus, I would imagine that they play similar to a Killarney. Good luck with the search!
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Hi, and thanks for the welcome and the suggestion! Do you reckon a new Sindt is an actual possibility, or do you mean used?
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I know his waiting list is a year or more but you could try to order one. Seems like a long wait though. Used would be best. I guess. Try posting in the used instrument section here. You never know, someone may offer to sell one. For that matter, I may consider it myself. I don't gig much anymore and my C rarely gets played as it is. I'll give it some thought.
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Thank you very much. I sent an off chance email to his aol address, but I'm not really sure it's in my price range. Used sounds like a good idea, I'll be sure to keep an eye out, and thank you for the potential offer :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'm not really sure it's in my price range. Used sounds like a good idea

There's a problem there though, the used ones are fetching absolutely silly OTT prices. A C was on offer here a while ago for well over $200 I believe, silly stuff. I want a C Sindt, and have been looking for one after finding one here for a neighbour years ago, but not at that price.

As a comparison: A 1970s Generation C (in a batch with two Clarkes) did not find a buyer on ebay last night for £2.99.
My brain hurts

Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I'm not really sure it's in my price range. Used sounds like a good idea

There's a problem there though, the used ones are fetching absolutely silly OTT prices. A C was on offer here a while ago for well over $200 I believe, silly stuff. I want a C Sindt, and have been looking for one after finding one here for a neighbour years ago, but not at that price.

As a comparison: A 1970s Generation C (in a batch with two Clarkes) did not find a buyer on ebay last night for £2.99.
I agree, I'm not a huge fan of paying (what could be deemed) an exaggerated price if you're in effect paying for not having to wait. However, a Burke narrow bore C, including shipping to Europe, VAT and customs charges, would be $420, when the actual whistle is $240. So that's why I don't really baulk at $200 for a whistle that seems to be viewed, by some, as one of the best whistles out there.

I dunno. If it's worth it, I don't mind paying a bit more. I'm a firm believer of "buy nice or buy twice", and I have a couple of pretty expensive guitars which could be considered top of their respective ranges: as is brought up on this forum time and again, tin whistles are pretty "cheap" compared to other top of the line instruments. Especially if you're not able to try stuff in person, I'm more prepared to pay more for something that people agree is good.

But I'm in no rush. I think it's just that the discovery of the Killarney made me so happy (and improved my playing), so I'd like a C whistle that I can be as happy with.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Isn't there an agent for Burke in Europe? Mick O'Brien used to do that but I don't know if he continued on with that.

I agree with you on buying what you want at a reasonable price, I have never minded buying Sindts directly from John, although they were at the top of what I'd be willing to pay for a whistle. I would not ever consider the highly inflated second hand prices. Over time I bought a fair few Sindts for friends and students, the last one came out at €115 and I found that already an embarrassing high when I had to pass it on. The C I got for my neighbour (actually for her husband who wanted to give it to her for their anniversary) I traded here for some bits and pieces, I passed it on for €60. It was a lovely whistle and I have been craving one ever since. But that's what it is, a craving. An indulgence rather than a need. I have a bunch of old C Generations that do the job for me, I don't have much call for C whistles anyway so paying silly money isn't really on the cards. YMMV, ofcourse.
My brain hurts

Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Isn't there an agent for Burke in Europe? Mick O'Brien used to do that but I don't know if he continued on with that.

I agree with you on buying what you want at a reasonable price, I have never minded buying Sindts directly from John, although they were at the top of what I'd be willing to pay for a whistle. I would not ever consider the highly inflated second hand prices. Over time I bought a fair few Sindts for friends and students, the last one came out at €115 and I found that already an embarrassing high when I had to pass it on. The C I got for my neighbour (actually for her husband who wanted to give it to her for their anniversary) I traded here for some bits and pieces, I passed it on for €60. It was a lovely whistle and I have been craving one ever since. But that's what it is, a craving. An indulgence rather than a need. I have a bunch of old C Generations that do the job for me, I don't have much call for C whistles anyway so paying silly money isn't really on the cards. YMMV, ofcourse.
I'm in total agreement again. 90% of the time, I play D whistles, so I'm definitely not paying through the nose for a C, much as I wouldn't pay much for (or even buy) a guitar I would use for one song out of 10. It's very true that it's a craving. I wanted a Burke D 11 years ago, got a Goldie instead, and vowed to get a Burke C as my "second" whistle, instead of just hoarding Ds. But my Dad's old knackered Generation is still a 70s Generation C, so it works. But I would like something new. Let's see if Mr Sindt replies. How would one go about contacting Mr O'Brien for the potential European Burkes?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I suppose asking Burke whistles if they still have a representative in Europe -is the most efficient way of going about it.
My brain hurts