Weighing options for a new whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dan A.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Re: Weighing options for a new whistle

Post by Dan A. »

Mr.Gumby wrote:USPS prices are through the roof but ebay global shipping is outrageous, totally prohibitive for relatively cheap items. The days of getting stuff from the US are long gone.
The exorbitant prices of the Global Shipping Program, plus shenanigans such as those detailed in this thread, are the two reasons I will have nothing to do with the Global Shipping Program.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Polara Pat wrote:I contacted Dixon and they suggested a music store in Ontario that carries them. Sadly that's on the opposite side of the country.
Was that Long and McQuade? They have stores all across the country. Their website says the Vancouver store has brass Dixons in stock, for example.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Tunborough wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:I contacted Dixon and they suggested a music store in Ontario that carries them. Sadly that's on the opposite side of the country.
Was that Long and McQuade? They have stores all across the country. Their website says the Vancouver store has brass Dixons in stock, for example.
I did check them out but it was still a bit cheaper through Amazon and I was feeling patient at the time. I also wanted the nickel finish.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I'd spend more time with what you have and ask the question again in a couple of months. I have heard new players sound like crap on a Sindt or a Burke, and experienced players making a cheapie sing. In your case, you will likely get better with time an have a better idea of what you want later. If money is that tight you'll want to really know what you want. If you have contacts with other players you might find someone willing to loan you something if you appear serious.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Dan A. wrote: I had a gander at the Dixon Web site. Some very nice instruments there. ...Though I would get antsy if I had to wait on a shipment from the UK! Is your Dixon brass or nickel?
Oh my... Dan, you can order a great brass Dixon Trad right from this swell store in Red Wing, Minnesota:
http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sale ... tle-brass/

Several of my whistles I've gotten from them- great customer service, friendly, and fast. :thumbsup:
They carry a whole lot of nice whistles at good prices, including a whole line of metal and polymer Dixons.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Nanook69
Tell us something.: Starting to play the low whistle,highland piper starting a new musicical adventure
Would like to play the Irish pipes someday if I get the low whistle down and learn to use bellows

Post by Nanook69 »

I highly recommend hobgoblin usa.i found a Kerry pro in f their that was not on their website so it's best to call them to see what they have, they are very helpful.i was looking at an alba until I spotted the Kerry pro.they have a lot that is not on their website and if you go there you can try them out.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Even a Dixon Trad will have shrillness for a new player. IMO, breath control is your biggest priority as a new player, and you can't learn that by sidegrading or even upgrading. Get thee to a practice room.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I know it's a bit late, but I would recommend picking up a Clarke Sweetone. I began, much as you did, with a Walton's that came with a book. I still have that whistle, and to this day it is absolutely awful in the upper register.

The Clarke Sweetones, in contrast, tend to be lovely and birdlike. The first octave isn't as powerful as some of the cylindrical whistles, but I will happily trade that for a whistle that is nice all the way up to the second octave B.
Nathaniel James Dowell
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I've recently purchased a new Soodlum whistle with cassette tape still unopened in package. Cheaply too as in paid more for shipping than for whistle. The Soodlum whistle played very nicely into the second octave and up to the high b. I'm not a collector, nor fan of the secondary market much, but, this Soodlum was unopened in the original package.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

AngelicBeaver wrote:I know it's a bit late, but I would recommend picking up a Clarke Sweetone. I began, much as you did, with a Walton's that came with a book. I still have that whistle, and to this day it is absolutely awful in the upper register.
I intend on picking up a Clarke before too long. I did, however, buy a Feadóg, which (to my ear, anyway) has a much better second octave.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Dan A. wrote:
AngelicBeaver wrote:I know it's a bit late, but I would recommend picking up a Clarke Sweetone. I began, much as you did, with a Walton's that came with a book. I still have that whistle, and to this day it is absolutely awful in the upper register.
I intend on picking up a Clarke before too long. I did, however, buy a Feadóg, which (to my ear, anyway) has a much better second octave.
A Feadóg was my second whistle, and it was also much improved. My issue with the soprano whistles, and what drove me towards the low whistles, is how piercing they get at the second octave B.

I'd given up on the high whistles until I happened upon a box of Clarke Woodstocks on a vacation near the Canadian border. I bought a green one, and it became my favorite soprano D whistle. It's nearly identical to the Sweetones I've purchased since, but it's just got a little something extra in its tone. I've never been able to find another Woodstock branded whistle. I wish I'd bought the whole box, as they were only $8 each.

Anyhow, the conical bore makes it different from every other Soprano whistle I've tried and I'd recommend anyone searching through the various whistles to give one a try.
Nathaniel James Dowell