It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:36 am 

I got a YouTube update email that contained a plug for the new Setanta low whistles released in September. It says they are tuned to equal temperament which sounds like a bonus. Also, McNeela is running a Black Friday special on them. I wondered if anyone had a chance to try these out?

Von

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:01 am 

Never heard of them! Can you give us a link to the YouTube video please?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 am 

Found it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgoCbfdg-Os. Another Goldie look-alike.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:55 am 

Here's a fuller version with pricing and additional descriptive text from McNeela.

[I have no connection with either the whistles or McNeela, just happened to have gotten the same email.]

Best wishes.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:54 am 

Mikethebook wrote:
Another Goldie look-alike.

Not to my eyes. If anything, that method of forming the windway, window and sometimes whole mouthpiece from flattening the tube should be compared to Overton as the first to do it, but the unaltered round sides shown clearly in Steve's link look more Chieftain than Overton/Goldie etc. And the tuning slide is external, so no look-alike there either.

Some old stuff, written and played by me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:45 pm 

vonallentx wrote:
I got a YouTube update email that contained a plug for the new Setanta low whistles released in September. It says they are tuned to equal temperament which sounds like a bonus. Also, McNeela is running a Black Friday special on them. I wondered if anyone had a chance to try these out?

Von

Out of curiosity, why is ET a bonus?

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:30 pm 

whistlecollector wrote:
vonallentx wrote:

Von

Playing with orchestras etc.? Other than that, I can't guess. I'm not sure it is a bonus if you are playing traditional music. I'm curious too; something on the edge of my memory about some other whistles in ET, or could be ordered that way, but not clicking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:13 am 

whistlecollector wrote:

I'm new to whistles and Trad music. It seems to me that whistles are tuned strangely. I don't understand the tuning. The thirds and sevenths don't seem sharp enough to my ear on my Dixon Trad. I thought it was just that one, but it seems to be all of them. When I play against a chromatic tuner, it shows them flat. But I'm understanding that this tuning is normal for whistles. I would love a whistle that is in tune with how I hear music. So ET seems like a bonus to me.

If anyone can explain the tuning of a standard whistle, I'd appreciate it. I find it challenging to blow them "in tune."

The fact that experienced whistle players are designing a whistle that is tuned in ET suggests that I'm
not the only one who has this issue with whistle tuning. If anyone has a suggestion for a High D that's tuned in ET, I'd appreciate it. (But not plastic, please.)

Von

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:03 am 

vonallentx wrote:
whistlecollector wrote:

If anyone can explain the tuning of a standard whistle, I'd appreciate it. I find it challenging to blow them "in tune."

The fact that experienced whistle players are designing a whistle that is tuned in ET suggests that I'm
not the only one who has this issue with whistle tuning. If anyone has a suggestion for a High D that's tuned in ET, I'd appreciate it. (But not plastic, please.)

Von

The first generation Feadogs have very good tuning. They can be found on Ebay for $10 shipped if you are patient and know what you are looking for. The heads are usually easy to adjust. I believe there are pics with each incarnation of the Feadog whistle. Per your question about the standard whistle tuning, I think of Generations with plastic tops and cylindrical bore as the standard bearer and they are not in ET. They were, however, the whistles everyone used when recordings came into the picture. It is my belief that this is why they sound best to many people. It is also my belief that good conical bore whistles sound better in tune and more balanced between octaves. I use a Generation red top on a nickel body as my main whistle, contradicting myself a bit there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:25 am 

For lengthy discussions of the difference between Equal Temperament (ET) and Just Intonation (JI) temperament, I'll refer you to:
/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69080
/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73792
http://www.rogermillington.com/untempered.html

In brief, with Just Intonation, the chords for your chosen key sound purer, more in tune. However, if you change keys with the same tuning, chords for the new key may sound repulsive. With Equal Temperament, the chords in all keys are equally mistuned.

McNeela wrote:
He opted for the highly accurate ‘Equal Temperament’ tuning system which allows the individual player to push, pull and bend notes with the minimum of effort.
There's a dose of snake oil in this. ET is no more nor less "accurate" than any other temperament. Notes on any whistle can be pushed, pulled and bent. On any decent whistle, they can be pushed or pulled enough to play in either Just Intonation or Equal Temperament tuning at the player's discretion. Yes, some whistles may be optimized for ET or JI, so that it is easier for an average player to hit the notes at a particular tuning in the course of a tune. If what you're aiming for is closer to JI though, a whistle optimized for ET won't help you get there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:50 am 

vonallentx wrote:
If anyone has a suggestion for a High D that's tuned in ET, I'd appreciate it. (But not plastic, please.)

Reyburn Whistles offers either Just or Equal temperaments in metal bodied whistles.

Tunborough wrote:
For lengthy discussions of the difference between Equal Temperament (ET) and Just Intonation (JI) temperament, I'll refer you to:/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69080

One of my first postings to this forum. Boy, did I get an earful...

Best wishes.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 pm 

vonallentx wrote:
whistlecollector wrote:

I'm new to whistles and Trad music. It seems to me that whistles are tuned strangely. I don't understand the tuning. The thirds and sevenths don't seem sharp enough to my ear on my Dixon Trad. I thought it was just that one, but it seems to be all of them. When I play against a chromatic tuner, it shows them flat. But I'm understanding that this tuning is normal for whistles. I would love a whistle that is in tune with how I hear music. So ET seems like a bonus to me.

Interesting. They sound fine to me!

Though one might argue that it's your tuner that's off... :poke:

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373