My homemade Bass A whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

My homemade Bass A whistle!

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I've long wanted to make my own whistle, but I haven't had the time or the tools. Well, I finally did it, and I went for a Bass A.

I used inspiration from my Chieftain V3 for the fipple design, as well as Hans Bracker's whistle calculator for the hole placement, which kind of worked.

The holes are quite the stretch, and they are big and hard to cover, but I think the tone is lovely.

https://youtu.be/16aSfxyGtUE
Nathaniel James Dowell
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: My homemade Bass A whistle!

Post by Tunborough »

Very nice work, Nathaniel. I like the tone, too. So that's what you were up to with that lathe.

As Feadoggie would say... Bet you can't make just one. (I deeply regret Feadoggie's absence from our community. He is missed.)
David Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by David Parkhurst »

Really nice! Low whistles are hard to make, you did well
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

David Parkhurst wrote:Really nice! Low whistles are hard to make, you did well
Thanks. I've been attempting to make an Alto A, but the fipple block carving has been unsuccessful after two tries. I may need some smaller tools for shaping the windway.
Nathaniel James Dowell
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

That's lovely. I haven't tested it with a tuner, but the tuning sounds OK to me, including that 'A' (sounding E).
jpwinstruments
Tell us something.: none, this information is none. none, this information is none none, this information is none none, this information is none none, this information is none none, this information is none

Post by jpwinstruments »

Ah!!! saw this video last night while browsing youtube. Great job! :thumbsup: