I made my own whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistlingman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi I play the pennywhistle and also make my own. I'm not here to sell anything just want to show my whistles. I'm not a business, I'm a hobbyist!

I made my own whistle!

Post by whistlingman »

I just built my own penny whistle out of cpvc pipe. Previously I just made a body minus the mouthpiece. It goes through the full four octaves, quite shrill! I made the mouthpiece pretty much like a Clarke or shaw I would believe. It has the volume of a Walton's little black whistle, but not finicky. It has some breath to it. It is a little mellower until the four octaves and you can distinguish each note up that high too! If you do need the fourth octave well it is there! I'm going to see if I can make them out of aluminum pipe. But now I'm all out of spending money. blah.

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: I made my own whistle!

Post by Peter Duggan »

Sure you're excited about what you've done, but four octaves? I've never seen or heard a whistle that can do four (some will just about do three, but two is the more normal 'useful' range) and believe what you claim is acoustically virtually impossible. So perhaps you've got something mixed up there?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
whistlingman
Tell us something.: Hi I play the pennywhistle and also make my own. I'm not here to sell anything just want to show my whistles. I'm not a business, I'm a hobbyist!

Post by whistlingman »

Peter Duggan wrote:Sure you're excited about what you've done, but four octaves? I've never seen or heard a whistle that can do four (some will just about do three, but two is the more normal 'useful' range) and believe what you claim is acoustically virtually impossible. So perhaps you've got something mixed up there?
No I don't think so. It does go to four. I've played the pennywhistle before and different ones. It sounds like a whistle, Its in the key of D and checked with a tuner. I'll never seriously play the fourth though because it is so high but its fun to annoy people with! I don't know how it goes to four, but it does. Got a blow a little hard there but it goes there! hehe. Don't know if I can replicate that or not. I'm waiting to get some money to build the next one. I was like what? Four octaves!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Must be the duct tape.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

whistlingman wrote:I was like what? Four octaves!
Sure you don't mean four Ds?

Master of nine?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Peter Duggan wrote:Sure you're excited about what you've done, but four octaves? I've never seen or heard a whistle that can do four (some will just about do three, but two is the more normal 'useful' range) and believe what you claim is acoustically virtually impossible. So perhaps you've got something mixed up there?
Maybe he has a bit of dog in him... :wink:

Seriously though, good for you! There's nothing quite like when you hear the sounds that the first whistle you make. I still get that feeling, but to a lesser degree, every time I voice a new whistle and play the first tune on it.The first was amazing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
whistlingman

Post by whistlingman »

Peter Duggan wrote:
whistlingman wrote:I was like what? Four octaves!
Sure you don't mean four Ds?
Nope! I tested it again today by moving the wood block in the mouthpiece. It really matters where that is at or it doesn't go to four octaves or even play. That's why I said it might be hard to duplicate by making it on a bandsaw.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Can we have some audio or video to demonstrate?

Master of nine?
whistlingman

Post by whistlingman »

Peter Duggan wrote:Can we have some audio or video to demonstrate?
http://bassmanbuilds.blogspot.com/2017/ ... lmost.html

It's a crappy sounding recording from my canon g2, but here it is. I start on the lowest octave. Notice it gets more breathy like a piccolo on the top octave or fourth. However I could not get to the highest D. so I guess it does not have a full four octaves but close! I couldn't play it for very long though hehe.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

A communique from Nibiru?

Devastating!

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/planet ... nce-again/
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

OK-don't do that again. :wink:
I'd suggest you not worry about those high "notes". Two octaves is plenty for virtually all Irish tunes. Anything much higher is painful.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

In the video, the notes in the first "octave" do go up the scale, although the last one is D6 (or higher), not C#6. The other sets of notes bounce all over the place and I'm not sure that any of them goes much above D7. Have you tried testing the pitch of the notes with a tuner? This is something you should be doing while you're drilling the toneholes: drill them undersize to start, and enlarge them until the pitch is right, working from bottom to top.

That round window may not be serving you well. I would suggest carving it out to be rectangular, for starters.
whistlingman

Post by whistlingman »

Flexismart wrote:A communique from Nibiru?

Devastating!

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/planet ... nce-again/
HA! Good one! Yeah I've known of this fictional thing early in 2000.
whistlingman

Post by whistlingman »

brewerpaul wrote:OK-don't do that again. :wink:
I'd suggest you not worry about those high "notes". Two octaves is plenty for virtually all Irish tunes. Anything much higher is painful.
I agree, but its good to annoy people with.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

whistlingman wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:OK-don't do that again. :wink:
I agree, but its good to annoy people with.
And you have succeeded manfully. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician