I made my own whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: I made my own whistle!

Post by Peter Duggan »

Tunborough wrote:The other sets of notes bounce all over the place and I'm not sure that any of them goes much above D7.
Have to say I broadly agree with this. While I'll go beyond Tunborough's assessment and grant you have pitches above three octaves, there's no consistent upward progression, nothing I'm hearing close to four, and nothing reliable anywhere close...

For something approaching reliable high harmonics, see my Holifield Low D Whistle video review (starting at 1:18), where I managed to get three octaves and a third of consistent upward progression despite still taking two goes to hit some of the notes. So maybe see if you can get that far on your high D without a single descending interval?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Tunborough wrote:The other sets of notes bounce all over the place and I'm not sure that any of them goes much above D7.
Have to say I broadly agree with this. While I'll go beyond Tunborough's assessment and grant you have pitches above three octaves, there's no consistent upward progression, nothing I'm hearing close to four, and nothing reliable anywhere close...

For something approaching reliable high harmonics, see my Holifield Low D Whistle video review (starting at 1:18), where I managed to get three octaves and a third of consistent upward progression despite still taking two goes to hit some of the notes. So maybe see if you can get that far on your high D without a single descending interval?
Pretty nice / not terribly screechy third octave on that whistle!

What to do with the fourth octave? Easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-GCRkE3LRQ
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
whistlingman
Tell us something.: Hi I play the pennywhistle and also make my own. I'm not here to sell anything just want to show my whistles. I'm not a business, I'm a hobbyist!

Post by whistlingman »

HERE IS A BETTER VIDEO! I disagree with both of your assessments. Anyways I have been away!

http://bassmanbuilds.blogspot.com/2017/ ... video.html
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

You can disagree all you like but you're kidding yourself if you think you're demonstrating a four-octave range there!

Master of nine?
whistlingman
Tell us something.: Hi I play the pennywhistle and also make my own. I'm not here to sell anything just want to show my whistles. I'm not a business, I'm a hobbyist!

Post by whistlingman »

Peter Duggan wrote:You can disagree all you like but you're kidding yourself if you think you're demonstrating a four-octave range there!
I knew you were one of those keyboard commando's and very stubborn. Its four octaves. The canon g2 photography camera doesn't pick it up that great as I've said in the previous posts and my camera is for photography not sound. I thought this was a better place to discuss but I'm gonna leave this site. I have better things to go and do. This is just the same old stuff. People hiding behind computer screens.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

whistlingman wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:You can disagree all you like but you're kidding yourself if you think you're demonstrating a four-octave range there!
I knew you were one of those keyboard commando's and very stubborn. Its four octaves. The canon g2 photography camera doesn't pick it up that great as I've said in the previous posts and my camera is for photography not sound. I thought this was a better place to discuss but I'm gonna leave this site. I have better things to go and do. This is just the same old stuff. People hiding behind computer screens.
Well. I guess that's that, then?

There are certainly other whistle forums you can go to, but to be honest, and to be fair to Peter and the others who responded to you, I think they offered you a very fair and respectful criticism (some slight ribbing aside). I won't add anything to what's already been said, but I really don't think you will find any better a reception of your effort on any other forum.

And lastly, please don't insult our intelligence by blaming your camera for the recording quality! There's nothing wrong with your camera or the recording. It was very clear.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

whistlingman wrote:I knew you were one of those keyboard commando's and very stubborn. Its four octaves. The canon g2 photography camera doesn't pick it up that great as I've said in the previous posts and my camera is for photography not sound. I thought this was a better place to discuss but I'm gonna leave this site. I have better things to go and do. This is just the same old stuff. People hiding behind computer screens.
I'm not hiding anywhere. You know my name and where I live, and I've simply responded as an experienced music professional and whistle player.
whistlecollector wrote:to be fair to Peter and the others who responded to you, I think they offered you a very fair and respectful criticism (some slight ribbing aside).
No ribbing here. Just a realistic assessment of the repeated claim that this whistle has four octaves. Which apparently makes me a very stubborn keyboard commando hiding behind a computer screen while the not-at-all-stubborn disagreeing OP leaves the site in a puff of righteous indignation?

I'd prefer to be commenting on the good points of the whistle as a first (?) effort, but can't when my advice is being repeatedly (dare I say stubbornly?) rejected!

Master of nine?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

You know, the guy deserves to be congratulated for his accomplishment before he's attacked for the imprecision of his ear. I haven't built my first whistle, yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll work less well than his.

Half of us have dodgy ears at the start, and the only cure is persistence. If we're immediately attacked by those lucky enough to have perfect ears, the only result is fewer musicians in the world, and a less joyful world.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

s1m0n wrote:You know, the guy deserves to be congratulated for his accomplishment before he's attacked for the imprecision of his ear.
No-one's attacking anyone, s1m0n! There's a huge difference between providing information (correcting something, even) and attacking.
If we're immediately attacked by those lucky enough to have perfect ears
No perfect ears and no attack. The whistle has a nice tone, reasonable intonation and an impressive upper extension. Just not a four-octave range, and it's quite fair to make that observation.

Master of nine?