Greenest of the Green

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Re: Greenest of the Green

Post by Polara Pat »

pancelticpiper wrote:Here's a little thing I did on cuts, pats, and rolls. Like many music things they're tough to clearly put into words, but are extremely simple when demonstrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfu_fDUyNHs
Thanks Richard, I've been told that I will be watching your video tomorrow haha and I'm looking forward to that. You are so right about needing to see something demonstrated as opposed to reading about it. Cheers for that.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Hey gang, I just wanted to say thanks to the good folks who pointed me in the right direction for trying to learn this whistle with very little direction. The suggested links and advice have been very helpful. Truth be told I was really reluctant to join this forum and put it off for quite a while. I assume that there are heaps of people like me who start trying to play the whistle, then throw in the towel after realizing they are in over their heads. Fortunately, I like to get obsessed about every project I take on. That being said, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a good portion of C&F members rolling their collective eyes at my intro. That's ok, everyone needs to start somewhere. I do appreciate those that did take the time. Cheers.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nah, we're all pretty much just like you - folks who got in over our heads and then stuck with it. "Natural" musicians take up difficult instruments, like the fiddle. People who aren't sure about their musical ability buy something that looks simple, like a whistle. Lots give up, but if you persist, you'll make it.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

s1m0n wrote:Nah, we're all pretty much just like you - folks who got in over our heads and then stuck with it. "Natural" musicians take up difficult instruments, like the fiddle. People who aren't sure about their musical ability buy something that looks simple, like a whistle. Lots give up, but if you persist, you'll make it.
Good to know that I'm not alone. I really hope to stick with it. Practice, practice, practice!!
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Another very important thing to do is listen, listen, listen. Not only to whistle players but every other instrument connected to the genre.

For instance you could hear the same tune played on a fiddle, then on a whistle then on accordion and listen for the different ways of ornamentation and different takes on a tune.
As well as being enjoyable it is an integral part of learning this music.

Learning the whistle can be very rewarding, to become proficient takes time, enthusiasm and dedication and of course a love of the tunes!
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

DaveAuty wrote:Another very important thing to do is listen, listen, listen. Not only to whistle players but every other instrument connected to the genre.

For instance you could hear the same tune played on a fiddle, then on a whistle then on accordion and listen for the different ways of ornamentation and different takes on a tune.
As well as being enjoyable it is an integral part of learning this music.

Learning the whistle can be very rewarding, to become proficient takes time, enthusiasm and dedication and of course a love of the tunes!
Seems like sound advice to me. I'll need to train my ears a bit but i figure that if I stick with it and practice my brains out it will all come together. I do love a lot of the tunes but I may just need to dismantle them a bit in my head to figure them out. I'll get there.
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Just to give you an example of different takes on a tune. Below are a couple of renderings of 'Shandon Bells' a jig played firstly on flute (Brid O'Gorman) then on whistle (Joe Bane). The Joe Bane version has the dots as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwZUJiU ... AxKNjJFS31

http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/index.html