Low D, low air

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Re: Low D, low air

Post by tomcat »

WD Sweet's Onyx is kind on the lungs. I've played several low D's and have found it to be the most favorable in this regard. It's conical and has a smaller windway than some. Its my personal favorite low D. Flute-like in its tone, which some prefer, others don't.
CornishFiddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddle player really (please go easy...) with many years in Scottish ceilidh, Irish, Balkan and klezmer bands, now playing with a Cornish group and in sessions and folk clubs. I'm trying to reconnect to a flirtation I had with whistles and recorders many years ago...

Re: Low D, low air

Post by CornishFiddler »

vonallentx wrote:
CornishFiddler wrote:Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, there have been a few posts on the Kerry Optima on my thread on a good first low D for a not very experienced wind player viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105631 I considered the Optima too and think it looks great, but haven't bought yet as a few have commented on it being very sharp in the 2nd octave. As I'll be playing it in a band and recording (when I get confident enough!), this would be an issue for me.
I just checked out some YouTube clips of the Alba Low D. It sounds great and only costs 125 pounds. I'll consider that next if the Kerry Optima isn't ... I can't resist ... optimal.
I'm going for the Alba low D after lots of consideration and a small boost to my budget thanks to an early Christmas present, will let you know how I get on. It would be great to hear how you rate the Optima - I was on the verge of buying one but changed my mind at the last minute!