Alternative finger positions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ShinySideUp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: After a trip to Ireland got hooked on whistle and bodrhan music, so I bought some. I already play saxophone and a bit of piano and I can make a noise on a clarinet too.

Alternative finger positions

Post by ShinySideUp »

I have been learning on a high D whistle and just for a change I bought a Bb and instantly found a little problem with the finger holes in that I can't easily get my right hand ring finger on the lowest hole due to arthritis. So far I have got round it by taping my ring finger and little fingers together and playing normally, this makes my little finger automatically cover the tone hole even though I am 'driving' with my ring finger, it's not perfect but I'm hoping I'll get used to it.

Anyone else had to do something like this with the bigger whistles?
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Alternative finger positions

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've not seen taping fingers together, but I've seen people play Low Whistles using the little finger for Hole 6, the ring finger staying on the whistle as an "anchor" finger.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle